3.5" (approx) paring knife recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian

Reaction score
I am looking to add a paring knife to my collection. Most of my current knives in use are single bevel high end knives purchased in Japan. The paring knife I use every day though is a Kasumi (commercial so called damascus J knives similar to shun that I bought a few years ago). Its pretty worn out and in the context of the knives I use today was never brilliant.

Recommendations please for a small parer? High quality. Capable of being taken very sharp. Handle style doesn't bother me. Carbon or stainless is fine. This will be a workhorse tool, but at home not in the work kitchen.

I live in London UK so practically everything has to be imported unless I am travelling. I am happy to custom order, and looked at the Catcheside website today (as he is UK) but the site says he wont do parers without ordering a bigger knife.

Also looked at Zwilling Kramer. Never seen one in the flesh and I realise this is the bread and butter end well removed from the hand made knives. But a practical proposition? No UK supplier as far as I can see.

Would be happy to consider quality knife if any members here wish to sell. I had come across an Ealy on here but had already been sold I think.

Adrian

Thanks. Harner web site has nothing for sale and the custom page does not clock through. McLean seems to be custom made sayas? Sharp and Shiny shop?

I presume Maxsim is Maxim from Japanese Natural Stones? Couldn't find the Kato's on his website but I will ahev a proper look when I get home.

Forgive my ignorance but I am still finding my way around here.

Out of interest has anyone come across Fallkniven knives? Someone sent me a link to their zulu paring knife, about which bold claims are made.

Are you looking for a parer that has hidden heel (like e.g. this one) or basically for any smallish blade (most of which are small petty knives like the small Kato you mention).

In my personal opinion parer does not have exposed heel (and so allows for relatively safe in-hand cutting) and there are rather few knives like that one - and none with WA handle AFAIK - unless one would count the small hunting knives (those however have usually much thicker blades for obvious reasons). Of course - custom makers can do that for you - only depends on you budget and willingness to wait (sometimes longer than 2 years).

I have a ZKramer parer in 52100. I love the shape of the handle, love the knife! Every now and then you can find a decent price for these on the internet...

Actually I'm presently mainly using a much larger petty with a wa handle rather than a paring knife and this does not have a hidden heel. The parer is sometimes used by me for finessing work but as this is at home for this one the main user is my wife, who thinks that my knives, most of which are long, are too big for her. This is actually fine as I hate other people using my knives! I am sick of the Kasumi, which no longer takes a sustainable edge well and has worn down a lot anyway, so I want to upgrade quality. I'll think about it a bit more when I get home and get her to try a couple of knives in hand. I do have a 4'' or so, maybe a bit more, Gustav Emil Ern from my early days (30 years ago) which was a good knife but my ex wife wrecked the handle by dishwashing it in a pro kitchen super hot dishwasher. Still got it and one of these days I will put a new handle on.

I am happy to buy hand made, but I need it now-ish, not in 1-2 years. Obviously I could buy a stock German blade (my wife is German btw) just for her. But I still want a nice parer to feed my knife obsession.

In my case I just use it for things like peeling garlic (maybe 30 heads at a time) or trimming a few kg brussel sprouts. Pretty much anything else I tend to use a Japanese single bevel veg prep knife (Carbon 2 blue) which I have a few variants of. I only do prep at home these days or cook quantity for family occasions.

Thanks all. Sadly the Kato is listed as out of stock on JNS but I will keep my eye on the site. I think I will buy a 4" Zwilling Kramer anyway as it will suit my wife and I am curious as to what they are like. I am trying to find a European stockist, though they are on US Amazon I see (but not UK apparently). I will keep my eye on the Ealy site too, although no one has recommended their parer / petty. Adrian

Andrian, should you be interested in getting a Kato in the future, than make sure that you get on the Maksim's list (via his webpage). He then shoots an email when the stuff is about to come in. I have 80mm Kato petty (with narrower blade than the last one) and it is a great little knife. Takes beautiful patina :)

The Shun Classic 3.5 gets some pretty high marks as an off the shelf parer. The 4 isn't bad either. Avail from Amazon and other retailers, this would be an immediate solution.

I've got parers from a few of the makers on these boards, Randy at HHH, 2 of Del's, 2 Harners from Butch. (Paring knives are relatively cheap - I keep buying them) They all are fine knives though they have different strengths. Checking with the makers directly would let you know what if any are available. As noted above Lefty is best contact here for for a Harner. A "Want to Buy" post may be in order if interested in something used or something right now.

Good luck in your search.

+1000000000000000000000 WildBoar

Del parers are awesome I have a rosewood Damascus one myself

I have just responded to Del's latest post and hopefully can reserve a damascus parer. I fancy something fancy!

The Shun suggestion does not appeal unfortunately. This knife is replacing a worn out (sharpened to death) Kasumi, which similar really: I see them as "pretend" K knives these days. This is not intended to be pejorative, it's just that my tastes have changed for knives for my own use. The ZKramer on order will be ideal for my wife I hope.

I have just responded to Del's latest post and hopefully can reserve a damascus parer. I fancy something fancy!

The Shun suggestion does not appeal unfortunately. This knife is replacing a worn out (sharpened to death) Kasumi, which similar really: I see them as "pretend" K knives these days. This is not intended to be pejorative, it's just that my tastes have changed for knives for my own use. The ZKramer on order will be ideal for my wife I hope.

ZKramer also comes in a 3.5" Damascus as well as the 4" FC61, if it's stainless you're looking for.

Back