Crazy conversion on bay: traditional deba to double bevel??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was cruising the bay for old dirty carbon and came across a listing for a knife that was converted from a traditional deba to essentially a "western" deba.

This seems really crazy to me, wouldn't getting the grinds to work on the flip side be close to impossible to do right - well except in the hands of a truly skilled person?

I certainly wouldn't even know how to get this done right by hand...

Well - is the deba in question was originally true single bevel and clad on one side with soft steel - than turning it into quasi-western deba (and ignoring the hollow grind on one side) would most probably push the cutting edge into the cladding creating a completely useless knife. And even if not - it just sounds completely ... wrong.

Someone had some fun playing with that knife.I can't like that I appreciate the end result.

That knife seem to be fooled up beyond repair. Maybe just use some very coarse stone to put SOME sort of edge on it and use it for gardening. But I am sure I would not pay $45 for it.

Woah... I kinda wish I didn't follow that link lol

Well, partial double-bevel modification on the heel is not uncommon on professional deba, but not this :(

Back