Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a finishing stone??

Need help with a finishing stone??

so i use a 1000 mino sharp and a 6000 king for my normal stones.

i was looking for a finishing stone to add to it and i have been wanting to try a natural stone because i like the finish that they leave.

the couple im looking into are Takashima Awasedo, Ohira Tomae, and i have spoke with maxim which he has Ozuku nr 35 or 36 he recommended but are out of my price range. He said he will be getting some Yaginoshimas in next week and that they are a bit harder but will be ok for kitchen knives.

have any of you used these stones and have any preference or do you recommend anything else? Want to stay under 200$.

beautiful question. I think many need to look more at steel, hrc, geometry, finish, etc. not the one style, edge, stone fits all category. A whole new world opens up between the relationship of blade and stone.

well pretty much all my knives, misono suji 240, misono santoku 7, tojiro dp honesuki 150mm i will probably only take to the 6k, but the kono hd gyuto 240 and gesshin ginga 210 petty id like to get a nice finish and refine the edge just a bit more. i may even use the finishing stone for more frequent touch ups so that i dont have to take it all the way down as much on just about all of them.

most of them are stainless, except the kono hd is semi stainless. which im sure you all know more about the steel involved than i do.

might i mention id like to use it on my straight razors as well but thats just an option it will be purchased for use on the knives so that is my main focus.

Your preference for using the stone for both knives and straights might be satisfied by the purchase of a good natural stone.

Although, naturals are generally more expensive than synthetics and their quality varies between nearly every stone.

Budget allowing, a naturally stone would probably be what I went after, if I was looking to sharpen knives and straights on the same stone.

If you're just looking to sharpen knives a natural would still be a good option, but a synthetic will probably save you some money.

The naniwa super 8k or 10k have gotten good reviews as finishing stones, though I've only used the 8k and found it a bit soft.

I'm being very general here but with the way I think if you're looking at naturals you'll probably want something on the medium to hard side. I say this because you're looking to use the stone for both straights and double bevel knives and this is do-able if you find the right one although the price point is going to be a ***** unless you go for smaller razor sized stones (coppa). If you were also doing double bevel knives then this would all be blown out of the water.

My favorite finishing stone for kitchen knives is an 8kSS. It is relatively fast and works well on all steels. After that, it would be a Belgian coticule. I also have an Awasedo. At this point, I really like it for carbon steel but not so much in general for stainless. It works but it's slow compared to the SS. The Kitayama 8k is quite serviceable and I use that from time to time although I find that carbon/iron claddin rusts fairly quickly on this stone. I use a 12k SS for razors. It works fine with knives, too.

if i do go synthetic i was thinking either the 8kSS or the 16k shapton glass because for the price thats pretty decent but i haven't really seen any review and im not sure if that would be too fine for a kitchen knife.

although i would really like to try a natural stone, but dave makes a good point about the size and price. I believe either one that jon or mark carries would be fine for knives to finish with right? or would i be better of going with the synthetic?

the takashima wouldnt be the best for razors.... its a little too soft and muddy. Its much more of a knife stone.

I think synthetics are much better multipurpose stones. Naturals are tricky. Plus, they are slow. I'm not very experienced with them but if you're gonna go for a japanese natural, I think it's best to get them with a single purpose in mind. A belgian coticule, however is a nice all purpose stone.