Quantcast
Need help with a finishing stone?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a finishing stone??

Jon thanks for the input! so that one would be out because i would like to use in on my straights as well.

I have been wanting to try a natural because of the nice finish it leaves but the cost is just too high, i will wait to see what maxim gets in next week just to see.

What are some synthetics that work well, i know some say the shapton glass stones are too hard is this true? I have heard good things about the SS stones.

also what would be the best grit option i was thinking 8-12k somewhere between there.

maxim would be the guy i would talk to in your situation

on GS, i personally find them too hard for my taste (when using with kitchen knives)... they arent bad stones...i just dont like them.

The SS could work well for both knives and razors... i've heard a lot of razor guys use them. Sadly, as i'm not a razor guy, i know very little about that. Consider this though... the 10-12k range in synthetics will likely leave you with very little bite to your edge on kitchen knives. That may not be in your best interest.

Maybe you should talk to Jon about one of his Gesshin 15k stones. Another option in the 8k range is the Naniwa 8k Snow White.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    maxim would be the guy i would talk to in your situation

on GS, i personally find them too hard for my taste (when using with kitchen knives)... they arent bad stones...i just dont like them.

The SS could work well for both knives and razors... i've heard a lot of razor guys use them. Sadly, as i'm not a razor guy, i know very little about that. Consider this though... the 10-12k range in synthetics will likely leave you with very little bite to your edge on kitchen knives. That may not be in your best interest.
    ya thats what i was worried about if i go to high then it could refine my edge too much for kitchen use, what would you recommend as the highest grit for use in a pro kitchen? I mean my 6k works fairly well i have no complaints just considering other options as well.

as far as hard stones i dont think i would like them either, the mino sharp i have is really hard and i really dislike that stone and have considered replacing it. The main focus for my finishing stone is my knives so i will forget the razor and maybe get another stone just for that i know maxim has some small ones for razors for sale.

Does anyone have any experience/opinions on the Chinese natural stones that Woodcraft sells? They say that they are 8-12K.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    ya thats what i was worried about if i go to high then it could refine my edge too much for kitchen use, what would you recommend as the highest grit for use in a pro kitchen? I mean my 6k works fairly well i have no complaints just considering other options as well.

as far as hard stones i dont think i would like them either, the mino sharp i have is really hard and i really dislike that stone and have considered replacing it. The main focus for my finishing stone is my knives so i will forget the razor and maybe get another stone just for that i know maxim has some small ones for razors for sale.
    I generally stop around the 4-8k range depending on the knife and its intended use (when using synthetic stones)... there are some exceptions to this and even some high grit stones that dont leave too smooth of an edge, but this is a good general rule.
    For naturals, it just depends on the stone and what kind of edge feel it leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Does anyone have any experience/opinions on the Chinese natural stones that Woodcraft sells? They say that they are 8-12K.
    hard and slow

There are ways to get Jnats for a limited budget.

1. If you want the nice finish on the blade get fingerstones.
    2. If you want to a stone for razor and knife get a hard and fine Jnat. It is OK if it is slow. Use this stone for micro bevel (Itoba) only on knives and to deburr on the back side. For micro bevel you can use slow stones.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    hard and slow
    Sounds like a good razor hone.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Sounds like a good razor hone.
    I think a lot of razor guys use it