Quantcast
Need help with a finishing stone?? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help with a finishing stone??

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Does anyone have any experience/opinions on the Chinese natural stones that Woodcraft sells? They say that they are 8-12K.
    got em about a two months ago, as Jon says "hard and slow" I use it as a paper weight now for my newspapers

Quote Originally Posted by DrNaka View Post
    There are ways to get Jnats for a limited budget.

1. If you want the nice finish on the blade get fingerstones.
    2. If you want to a stone for razor and knife get a hard and fine Jnat. It is OK if it is slow. Use this stone for micro bevel (Itoba) only on knives and to deburr on the back side. For micro bevel you can use slow stones.
    Im not sure i have the skill involved to use a finger stone on a gyuto im still working on getting even grinds on regular stones. But ya i dont mind if its a little slow im just using it for polishing, refining and adding micro bevels.

Joh- the new videos are great, being able to see them and the finish they leave before buying them makes it so much better! Im not sure if you have used a 8kSS but how would you compare it to the Awasedo?
    i think i will probably go with either of those they both seem like great stones.

Im starting to think i should just get a 3-4k stone instead of a higher grit finishing stone i mean it would be nice to get a good polish on the knives but i get a good bite that works well right now. I could save money and get a stone solely for razors then. Do you think 3-4k is worth it or is that not needed?

What do you guys think?

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    Im not sure i have the skill involved to use a finger stone on a gyuto im still working on getting even grinds on regular stones. But ya i dont mind if its a little slow im just using it for polishing, refining and adding micro bevels.

Joh- the new videos are great, being able to see them and the finish they leave before buying them makes it so much better! Im not sure if you have used a 8kSS but how would you compare it to the Awasedo?
    i think i will probably go with either of those they both seem like great stones.
    i'll shoot you a pm

Im starting to think i should just get a 3-4k stone instead of a higher grit finishing stone i mean it would be nice to get a good polish on the knives but i get a good bite that works well right now. I could save money and get a stone solely for razors then. Do you think 3-4k is worth it or is that not needed?

What do you guys think?
    I have been re-reading your posts and I want to throw out a suggestion. First, I have noticed that you are happy with your current set up. A 1000x and 6000x, right? It gives you the edges you need for your kitchen and you really don't have any complaints with they system you currently use. Second, there's no doubt that with a 1000x and a 6000x you probably have all the stones you NEED. So, here's my suggestion. Just admit that you want another stone because it's fun to try new stones out! Treat yourself, if you can afford it, and don't over think things too much. I have a whole table of stones I don't need, but I'm glad I bought 'em. Have fun and contribute some of your hard earned cash to the economy!!

I hope you take this in the spirit in which it was offered.

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    I have been re-reading your posts and I want to throw out a suggestion. First, I have noticed that you are happy with your current set up. A 1000x and 6000x, right? It gives you the edges you need for your kitchen and you really don't have any complaints with they system you currently use. Second, there's no doubt that with a 1000x and a 6000x you probably have all the stones you NEED. So, here's my suggestion. Just admit that you want another stone because it's fun to try new stones out! Treat yourself, if you can afford it, and don't over think things too much. I have a whole table of stones I don't need, but I'm glad I bought 'em. Have fun and contribute some of your hard earned cash to the economy!!

I hope you take this in the spirit in which it was offered.
    haha yes you are correct i would "like" another stone but i dont "need" one

i just dont want to waste my money on something that wouldn't benefit me at all. Im trying to decide what would benefit me more for pro kitchen use between a 4k and 8k stone. I like that n 8k leaves a great finish but then again i may not like the fineness of the edge and if i got a 4k i could use that more with the 6k with touch ups which i think i would like better rather than always having to take them down to the 1k.

so many choices with limited money so its difficult haha but im sure i will treat myself to at least one stone when i place the order for the deba. And dont worry i enjoyed your post pretty much spot on!

Yeah, and I hope I didn't come across as preachy. My sense is that no matter what stone you buy it will serve a proper function and will be worth the money you spend. Considering the stones you are looking at, you aren't going to get the wrong one no matter which one you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Sounds like a good razor hone.
    they vary in quality unless you find a really good one it is not worth it IMHO.

so i use a 1000 mino sharp and a 6000 king for my normal stones.

i was looking for a finishing stone to add to it and i have been wanting to try a natural stone because i like the finish that they leave.

the couple im looking into are Takashima Awasedo, Ohira Tomae, and i have spoke with maxim which he has Ozuku nr 35 or 36 he recommended but are out of my price range. He said he will be getting some Yaginoshimas in next week and that they are a bit harder but will be ok for kitchen knives.

have any of you used these stones and have any preference or do you recommend anything else? Want to stay under 200$.
    the mine the stone comes from does not matter as long as it does work for your purposes.
    Just make sure to ask if a particular stone works with knives similar to what you have.

+ Reply to Thread