Potential pass around Shun dual core kiritsuke

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started a thread about the Shun Dual core (http://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/dual-core-8-in.-kiritsuke) and I just today ordered one at quite a bargain. It's on sale for 239 at Williams and Sonoma and then I bought a "gift card" from giftcardrescue.com for Williams Sonoma that got me another 10% or so off. IT is really sharp OOB and rather pretty for a Shun with a nice Saya :)

I would be willing to do a pass around in the US if there is enough interest for say 5-10 people. Pretty standard rules I guess:

Must be a member with KKF in good standing, say a minimum of 50 posts.

- You may sharpen the knife if you know what you are doing. Of course, part of the idea of my doing the pass around is to see if people will think the dual core means less sharpening then knives given the same use :)

- Use it for a week or less and PM the next person for shipping address.

- Insure the package for $250

- Agree to give some impressions in this thread

(Thread is here:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...e-Knives-does-the-description-even-make-sense)

I'm curious to see what these knives bring to the table(pun intended) and this is very generous of you to do this. Thank you and I will be watching closely, Gary.

I'm in! Very interested in the "dual core" thing as well plus never gotten to try a Kiritsuke before...

Tiger,*nothing* will ever be as beloved to me as my Devin yo ITK :) - but my initial impressions are quite good. Really nice OOB experience, cuts like a dream

Still, given the discounts I put together, it is one of the best $200 knife I can *ever imagine* -

(Well I do wish it were a 240 and not a 210 and gyuto shaped...)

Sounds a lot like the Z Kramer Essential line in the "cuts like a dream and nice oob edge" as well as the $200 price point :)

Granted this means you have to like the Kramer profile which I admit is pretty unique/hit or miss from people I know that have tried mine

Also, since it's a Shun I assume the F&F is top notch?

Tiger,*nothing* will ever be as beloved to me as my Devin yo ITK :) - but my initial impressions are quite good. Really nice OOB experience, cuts like a dream

Still, given the discounts I put together, it is one of the best $200 knife I can *ever imagine* -

(Well I do wish it were a 240 and not a 210 and gyuto shaped...)

ITK's are wonderful knives, but the DT I will put it up against is this coreless carbon damascus:

Dang, am I too late for the passaround party? If you have room to squeeze one more, I'd be quite happy to be that one more.

Can i get in too? Hopefully its not too late. Marc can give it to me directly since hes my boo

Just received the knife today. Lot of bling for sure. The girls in my shop are used to seeing some pretty cool knives . This one certainly got their attention. Rick, did you do anything to the edge before shipping it? It feels as sharp as I could imagine it being out the box. Nice and smooth on the spine and choil. Very flashy polished finish. I'll use it fir a couple days before commenting and have it ready to go this weekend. Who's after me?

Just received the knife today. Lot of bling for sure. The girls in my shop are used to seeing some pretty cool knives . This one certainly got their attention. Rick, did you do anything to the edge before shipping it? It feels as sharp as I could imagine it being out the box. Nice and smooth on the spine and choil. Very flashy polished finish. I'll use it fir a couple days before commenting and have it ready to go this weekend. Who's after me?

Tiger, any thoughts??

Mike, the edge is as I received it from Gary. I didn't feel the need to even strop it.

Gary, I'm still working on a review. Sorry to take ao long.

Rick

Yea the edge was pretty amazing OOB, it will be interesting to see how long i lasts because that is one of the things they are "pushing'

Sent my shipping info to the current user.

Interested to hear your thoughts on it Tiger, I still own a Shun Classic Petty (6in) and honestly it's a pretty decent knife albeit not at the full retail price. Mine on sale was a good bit <$100 and at that price the fit and finish is stellar and it gets as sharp as anyone could ever need. Retention isn't wonderful but if you strip away all the bias/prejudice/preconceived notions that exist about Shun and just judge the blade itself, it's actually quite nice (msrp being the bit caveat here)

That all said, I'm eager to see what one of Shun's "high end" offerings is like.....

Back