Dry Stone Storage?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kavik79

Reaction score
I recently picked up a few stones from Jon over at JKI and had to re-arrange my stone case, so I thought it'd be interesting to see what other people use for storing theirs?

The layout of this apartment, I don't have places to keep them out or soaking like I've seen a lot of people do (I also don't sharpen nearly as often as a lot of people here), so I picked up a cheap hard case (Zeikos ZE-HC36 Deluxe Medium Hard Shell Case), designed for camera equipment and filled with a perforated foam block, the kind where you tear out to make the shapes you need. Works perfect for stones, they each fit in 1-2 rows in the foam grid and everything is snug and secure and can be moved around without worrying about knocking the stones around

StoneCase.jpg

(when those 2 empty spots are filled, the uneven gaps go away, those two stones are wet at the moment)

What it fits:
DMT & some lapping filmLa Grise Natural Combo Coticule w/ slurry stone
Norton 220/1000Welsh Slate "tri hone" set: Dragons' Tongue 8-10k w/ slurry stone
Norton 4000/8000Welsh Slate "tri hone" set: "Welsh Thuringen" 15k+ w/ slurry stone
Chinese 12kWelsh Slate "tri hone" set: Purplw Llyn Melynllyn 12-15k w/ slurry stone
Gesshin 400
Gesshin 2000
Gesshin 5000 Splash & Go

Still have room for up to 5 more stones, depending on their thickness, but they'd have to be 7" or shorter to fit side by side with the Gesshins

So, what do you guys do for protection when storing and/or moving stones?

I have a slotted drawer near my knife station both at home and in the kitchen. (I should add that even at work I only cook for fun these days - employ a brigade). Stones are dried then stored on absorbent paper that is replaced regularly. Knife and stone draws are lockable and a mag rack is used for knives in use. I keep a couple in boxes that I don't use much as I now have too much gear! All the best stuff is kept at home these days.

I like your case idea. It must weight a fair bit! The only drawback is it is pretty easy to steal all your stones in one go?

Tjangula - thanks, I'll check out the link. Hope it works well for you if you decide to give it a go

Adrian - Lol i should've mentioned i'm not a pro....this case started out as storage for my razor hones, but it's nice that it's big enough to support both those and now my knife stones all in one place.
These don't go anywhere really, and if i were to take them somewhere to sharpen for someone, I'd be right there with them. Also, i literally only have one drawer in my whole kitchen, so that wasn't an option for me. I hate this apartment, currently saving up for a house...
It's not light, but it's certainly not too heavy to deal with

Back