• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Gesshin Ittetsu 240mm wa-gyuto w/ Karl McKinlay handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmccurtis

Reaction score
This one hurts to let go of. Up for sale is a Gesshin Ittetsu 240mm white #2 wa-gyuto, wearing a horn and stabilized snakewood handle made by Karl McKinlay (aka Hattorichop). I'm not sure if Karl is still making handles, but this is a very elegant example of his work. The blade measures ~236mm heel-to-tip, and is 53mm tall at the heel. Comes with friction fit saya.

380 USD shipped.

See more photos here: http://imgur.com/a/29fC5

FmJypKo.jpg

Beautiful knife ! What does the handle circumference measure? Looks narrow compared to blade height

It is narrow, though the blade is fairly tall. The handle measures 23mm x 18mm at its end, 20mm x 16mm at its front, and 140mm long.

I pulled my calipers out of a moving box, so I thought I'd provide some more detailed dimensions.

Spine

Heel 2.50mm
Mid 1.84mm
Tip 0.83mm

Middle

Heel 2.10mm
Mid 1.79mm
Tip 0.60mm

Edge

Heel 0.21mm
Mid 0.22mm
Tip 0.23mm

For reference, Middle is defined as halfway between spine and edge, and Edge is as close as I could reasonably measure to the shoulder of the bevel. Mid point measurements were taken at the beginning of the kanji, and tip measurements were taken approximately 3mm back from the point of the tip.

Let's try 360 USD shipped. Thirty dollars less than new, free shipping, and a free custom handle.

What a deal...I owned one of these and it was a great cutter. I wish I had the funds at the moment, this particular Ittetsu looks even better than mine. GLWS

It is a great cutter, remarkably thin for a clad knife of its kind. Great edge profile, too.

Damn, somebody needs to pick this up. I love the profile, just lack the funds.

Agreed, it's a stellar knife. I hate to sell it, but need the money more than I need the knife right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back