stainless - gesshin hide vs gesshin kagekiyo vs tanaka r2 vs saji r2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm a home cook (left handed) and I would like to buy a good stainless knife (gyuto).
I current have one kato and one konosuke fujiyama.
I'm between four knives: gesshin hide (ginsanko), gesshin kagekiyo (ginsanko), tanaka ironwood (r2) and saji r2.
I know they are all excelent knives, but I would like to hear from people who know those knives, specially about the qualities and differences.
I'm also would like to know if, with time, the damascus on Saji and Tanaka will vanish and then if it is easy to bring the pattern back.
Thank you!

Thank you!
And what about the four knives?
The more information I get, more chances to make the right choice.

I owned a Saji R2 for a bit. I got a lemon and the grind at the midpoint to the tip was very thick, but if you have a good vendor and ask them to check the grind, you should be ok. The steel and profile were phenomenal and handle was comfortable. My 240 mm balanced at ~ the bolster and weighed in at 8.7 oz.

My Tanaka R2 (the Wa version) is a completely kickass knife. One of my absolute favorites. The Ginsanko Kagekiyo is also kickass, and has a tremendous grind with amazing fit and finish. I sold the Kagekiyo because it was, unfortunately, a narrower knife than I like. I haven't used a stainless Hide, but the carbon is very nice. I've heard about grind issues with Saji, as James mentions, but I haven't actually used a Saji. I would add the Heiji semi-stainless to your list, they are fantastic knives. I do prefer the carbon Heijis, though, but that's like preferring a Carrera S to a Carrera: there is nothing wrong with the "lesser" of the two, the higher end package is just more (though, in this case, less stainless).

Unfortunately have only used one of your choices, but definitely love my Ginsanko Kagekiyo. It is not a mighty knife by any means, just depends on what you are looking for.

I have the tanaka r2 (wa) and I love it. It needed some microbeveling due to microchipping after the first use. A few min on a Shapton 5k has shown no issues since.

There is a bit of an upsweep to the spine of the blade that carries through the handle, which I like.

The one thing I would prefer would be a slightly thinner taper at the tip, oh, and some spine/choil rounding.

I have the Gesshin Hide Yanagiba in Ginsanko and like it a lot. Nice grind. Nice F/F. Nice steel. Nice knife. Also have a Ginsanko Suisin Deba and a Tadasuna INOX suji that I recall being Ginsanko. All take to sharpening well. I would go for another Ginsanko without hestiation and suggest you consider the Tad INOX Gyuto on your list. (It's on my list)

No experience with the r2.

Sorry if I took a little to answer...
I can see Tanaka has big fans. And I love the look of his knives!
I think both Kagekiyo and hide may be more brittle than I'm use to (I know, then I must improve my technique). But I keep visiting Jon's website (I don't know why, but I really want to buy something from him) :D
DaveB: To be honest, I didn't know Tad knives (always something new to learn)
EdipisReks: This time I want the freedom of a full stainless (especially when I have to let my wife use my knives :bigeek:)

Who sells the Tanaka R2 wa-handle for a US buyer? Also is the cladding also SS? I had a Tanaka blue and loved the grind, but I prefer SS over carbon these days.

Yes - the damascus cladding on Tanaka R2 is stainless. In general - I have yet to hear about a knife with stainless core and non-stainless cladding.

I have the Gesshin Hide Yanagiba in Ginsanko and like it a lot. Nice grind. Nice F/F. Nice steel. Nice knife. Also have a Ginsanko Suisin Deba and a Tadasuna INOX suji that I recall being Ginsanko. All take to sharpening well. I would go for another Ginsanko without hestiation and suggest you consider the Tad INOX Gyuto on your list. (It's on my list)

No experience with the r2.

Dave I like the Ginsanko steel too. Always turned up my nose to stainless yanagiba's, am beginning to soften my position. I sold all my carbon cleavers as a home cook now prefer quality stainless Japanese cleavers. Have couple good stainless Gyuto, and some very nice carbons. Last carbon holdout are single bevels:D. Glad you like your Gesshin Hide sure it is a nice blade.

Anyone know how the grind compares on Tanaka R2 versus a Gengetsu?

"I owned a Gengetsu". Not a common expression. I've not tried a Tanaka but if it cuts comparably I may have to change that...

Im really curious about Tanaka R2 Wa vs Konosuke Fujiyama, especially Blue #2

Im still getting to know the first, but I've wanted one of the latter for a while and am curious if it's worth owning when I dont own anything other than chef's knives.

Im really curious about Tanaka R2 Wa vs Konosuke Fujiyama, especially Blue #2

Im still getting to know the first, but I've wanted one of the latter for a while and am curious if it's worth owning when I dont own anything other than chef's knives.

I own both, but my Tanaka went to Jon for a rehandling before I received the Fujiyama B2, and I don't have the Tanaka back yet. They are both very nice knives.

Back