Just bought my first kitchen knives how did I do?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fewlio

Reaction score
I'm poor as @#%$ but wanted to get an effective set of kitchen knives CHEAP! The guys on slickdeals.net recommended victorinox so that's what I got! How are these for the money? I got free shipping and no sales tax

Qty Description Price Total
1 Victorinox Forschner Fibrox 8-in. White Bread Knife $12.75

1 Victorinox Forschner Fibrox 10-in. Serrated Bread/Slicing Knife with White Handle $12.74

1 Victorinox Forschner Fibrox 12-in. Serrated Bread/Slicing Knife with White Handle $15.29

I just didn't know what size to get as they had all three sizes, so I figured they are pretty cheap I'll buy them all and sell or gift away the ones I don't use.

1 Victorinox Forschner Fibrox 8-in. Serrated Carving Knife with White Handle $8.49

I'm a vegetarian but I figured this might be useful for cleaning up melon rinds and maybe cutting tomatoes if my other knives are dull.

1 Victorinox Forschner Fibrox 8-in. Chef's Knife with Blue Handle $29.70

1 Victorinox Forschner Fibrox 10-in. Serrated Chef's Knife with White Handle $16.99

1 Victorinox Forschner Fibrox 12-in. Chef's Knife with White Handle $25.49

I think I like using an 8 inch chef's knife best, but I got the 12 inch because I think it could be useful for processing very large garden veggies and cutting homemade pizzas into slices. The serrated chef's knife, a one size fits all jack of all trades knife I can take with me for making subway sandwiches. A portion of the blade is non serrated as well.

victorinox are great starter knives IMHO, now you will need to learn to sharpen them

Only the chef's knives in 8 and 12 " can be full length sharpened. Serrated last a long time though right?

I think the Victorinox knives are great -- the true best bang for the buck. Purchased a 9" chef knife for my Ma to have at her house, and I really enjoy using it when I stop over there.

They have great blade profiles, and their chef knives aren't very tall (which I really like being a suji guy myself). They sharpen very easy, you can use a steel on them, they are durable and inexpensive so you don't have to worry too much if something happens to them.

It is amazing to me to see Wustof chef knives that are still selling for $200, when the Victorinox will out-cut them any day due to the thin blade geometry...plus they have the french profile without a huge belly.

Those are definitely cheap. Seems to me like you could have done better with that total amount of money buying one good knife instead of several cheapos.

You spent about $64 on a bread knife since they're all serrated. Shoulda just added a few more bucks and got the Tojiro itk bread knife.

[video=youtube;dvNs4zB6zXg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvNs4zB6zXg[/video]

For the Chef knife just a few more bucks and you coulda got a Fujiwara fkm.

Just my opinion though.

You did well with the 8" and 12" Chef's knives. They are a great value and you got them at a great price. You could have gotten a single more expensive knife for a few more dollars, but I don't see anything wrong with your choice.

I wouldn't get a serrated chef's knife, even if it's only partially serrated. The same goes for the serrated carving knife. With a good cutting board and good technique, a serrated knife isn't going to stay sharper longer than a non-serrated blade. It might feel sharper, but you will find that you are just tearing up your food, not cutting it. When you try to sharpen it, it will be far more difficult. If your other knives are dull, sharpen them.

I see that you plan on only keeping 1 of the 3 bread knives, so you didn't do too bad there. If I were to place a bet, I'd say that you'll end up keeping the 12". The Tojiro ITK is a bargain by standards around here, but nowhere near $15.

Bang for the buck Victorinox are good knives. You can knock off the V grind put on a convex bevel & they will cut even better. They can be sharpened many times on a medium stone and keep ticking. If you use a steel lite strokes on a totally smooth polishing rod.

Your serrated knives must not come in contact with any hard objects. Just food and preferably a wooden cutting board. Protect those edges & they will last much longer.

Get a medium stone 1K & learn to sharpen.

Sharpening wide serrations is not that difficult. Use a diamond rod on each concave section to create a small burr then use a stone to remove it single bevel style on the rear.

Saved a few bread knives from the bin that way.

Yes if serrations on one side & flat on the other you can sharpen it. Sharpened Victorinox bread knives with scallop edge as you said except use slipstones instead of diamond rod, whatever does the job.

Yes you got them dirt cheap, yes the somewhat redundant knives will make attractive give aways to many folks. You should have got the 10" chefs without serrations, that's a great size but the serrations kind of blow it imo.

As suggested, consider chefs and suji (and give the serrated one away) in something more upscale when you have an idea what lengths might actually suite you best, but 240mm is a nice size, especially for the suji. I do a lot of veggie slicing with the suji.

Rick

meh...run of the mill non real j knife entry...shouldve gone at least tojiro or fujiwara...just my humble opinion

Back