Exposed machi - pros and cons

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seems like quite a few makers have moved away from a traditional wa handle installation with an exposed machi, because of complaints in non-Japanese markets. In terms of pure asthetics, I actually prefer the exposed machi - but I've only used western handled knives.

All you wa junkies out there: what are the pros and cons of an exposed machi, in terms of functionality, performance, food safety, etc? Any significant differences or does it only affect looks?

Pardon me if I correct the terminology, but the machi IS the gap between the emoto (neck) and the ferrule. What is exposed is the tang. Refer to Gator's excellent Japanese Kitchen Knife Anatomy & Terminology: http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/jbladeant.shtml

The presence or absence of the machi is merely a byproduct of the handle installation process. If the handle is installed in the traditional manner of heating the tang and driving it into the handle, it is not driven in all the way to prevent splitting the handle, and to allow for subsequent removal and replacement by the user when polishing the blade. Handles installed with the emoto flush with the ferrule are commonly glued or epoxied, or are the product of several heating and burning cycles to produce a close fit.

Other than aesthetic preference, there is no difference in functionality, performance or food safety. I have owned a few knives that needed the exposed edges smoothed for comfort.

Rick

Pardon me if I correct the terminology, but the machi IS the gap between the emoto (neck) and the ferrule. What is exposed is the tang. Refer to Gator's excellent Japanese Kitchen Knife Anatomy & Terminology: http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/jbladeant.shtml

The presence or absence of the machi is merely a byproduct of the handle installation process. If the handle is installed in the traditional manner of heating the tang and driving it into the handle, it is not driven in all the way to prevent splitting the handle, and to allow for subsequent removal and replacement by the user when polishing the blade. Handles installed with the emoto flush with the ferrule are commonly glued or epoxied, or are the product of several heating and burning cycles to produce a close fit.

Other than aesthetic preference, there is no difference in functionality, performance or food safety. I have owned a few knives that needed the exposed edges smoothed for comfort.

Rick

Thanks for the explanation. No "pardons" needed for correcting terminology - that's why I come here, to learn :) Looking forward to reading the article.

I have one 270mm kiritsuke where the machi creates some discomfort. My understanding, I think originally from Jon, is for sharpening, to avoid running into the handle when reaching the entire ura. Also, as PT said, putting your tang in and out repeatedly will wear out the hole and you will have to go deeper each time. (Don't touch that one.) Personally, I don't like the aesthetics of the gap and have asked for knives from retailers with small or even no gaps. Some masamatos seem to have a pretty extreme gap to my eye.

Some makers have a more pronounced machi. More and more of the Japanese makers that do business with the western companies are changing to no machi because of the American's dislike for them. Not all J-knives have machi. You don't normally see them on deba, usuba etc. You will see more of them on yanagi, gyuto...

Personally I was like most other Americans when I first got interested in J-knives. It looked to me as if there was a mistake in the manufacture of the knife. Over time I've become accustomed to it and actually like it depending on which model its on. Jon is the expert on this and I believe has made detailed posts in the past.

My Suisin Inox Honyaki has a rather pronounced gap, think most do, doesn't bother me, could care less about it aesthetically

The only complaint I have of my suisin is the machi. I don't care about the look of it considering that's my knife I keep on the line. When you go to pinch grip it isn't the most comfortable in you're hand it almost digs into you. I am actually planning on replacing the handle just to avoid this discomfort.

I am actually planning on replacing the handle just to avoid this discomfort.

If you just want to lose the machi, you don't need to replace the handle. Just knock it off and remount it so the tang sits deeper. Maxim has a good video on how to burn in a handle.

Be well,
Mikey

Some makers have a more pronounced machi. More and more of the Japanese makers that do business with the western companies are changing to no machi because of the American's dislike for them. Not all J-knives have machi. You don't normally see them on deba, usuba etc. You will see more of them on yanagi, gyuto...

It must be up to the individual makers regarding which types they use them on. For example, Watanabe doesn't use for a gyuto according to his website. I have a Honyaki Kiritsuke-Gyuto on order that should be ready in a few weeks according to his estimated delivery time. I'll be curious to see what it has, as the Gyuto doesn't have but the Kiritsuke does. It won't really matter though in the long term as it's going to get a re-handle anyways.

Back