Quantcast
Pre-Orders for 52100 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-Orders for 52100

Quote Originally Posted by so_sleepy View Post
    I like the looks of this narrow gyuto. What are the dimensions, heel height and edge length?
    It's about 260mm on the edge (274mm or so tip to handle). Height is 48mm while a standard gyuto would be 54-55 or so, this one is considerably narrower.

The blade without handle weighs 140g, and that is before thinning the tang. I expect it to be under 220g with handle.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

LOVE this knife.

I hope you won't hate the ones I will start making for sale.

I am impressed!
    As you know Im a huge fan of your work!
    Looking forward to knives from you

Holy F-bomb. That looks awesome....

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias504 View Post
    Holy F-bomb. That looks awesome....
    Between profiling, heat treating, grinding, hand finishing, sharpening and handle making it will be two full days, so I suppose it is better be good, or I need to do something else.

M

Holy Jeebus that is amazing.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Marko:

I sent you a PM last week regarding this thread. Can you indicate whether you received it.

The knives are looking nice.

Lance

Marko, do you bevel the knife all the back to the tip of the tang on the Japanese style knives like they do on Japanese swords or is there a plunge line there somewhere that I can't see?>
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Thanks Harald.

Now that I am in this thread, here is a quick run-down where I stand with the pre-orders

I finalized a heat treatment method #1 that resulted in a very stable edge that is easy to sharpen and has excellent edge retention (one of my knives has been used in a pro kitchen since July 25 and has not needed resharpening, just one retouching on leather loaded with 2 micron silicon carbide and the edge came back to shaving condition)

I am also working on a heat treatment process #2 that would retain a stable edge, easy sharpen-ability but would increase edge retention. So far the indications have been that the heat treatment is on target, but I wouldn't know it for certain until the knife has been tested in a pro kitchen as well as on a rope-cutting test. So #2 is on hold for now.

I finalized profile, geometry and finish for the gyuto and working on a suji (two lengths), 150mm petty and 180mm gyuto.

I like to keep the weight of the 260mm (on the edge) gyuto under 225g with the handle so it is light and nimble. At the same time, it is over 3mm thick at the handle, and 1mm .75" from the tip, so it's a pretty rigid knife. I will grind a suji with more flex near the tip, but a gyuto (unless requested) will have very little or no flex near the tip and ZERO flex at the handle.

Finish is going to be similar to Shigefusa kasumi line with horizontal finish lines, rounded choil and spine.

Grind will be shallow convex with thickness above the edge under .010. This is more of a Carter-like than Shigefusa-like grind, but I think it will complement the lightweight of the knife well. It should cut well. I am also considering doing an asymmetric grind (for right hand users first and then maybe left), but would need a feedback before offering it as an option. I am sending one out to evaluate fit, finish, grind (includes asymmetric) early next week.
    I grind to about .015 at the edge and then take to stones and remove the rest by hand. I have a better control over the angle, and though it takes much longer than on a grinder, I like the result better. I think this is what puts Shigefusa apart from many Japanese makers - no over-grinds, uniform bevels, etc., and I will try to replicate that. There is a learning curve to this, but I am in for a long haul, I hope.

As far as sharpening is concerned, I converge two planes to zero degree and then put a small micro bevel and polish it. I use a mix of synthetic and natural stones, but the resulting edge should be over 6K. If you like wider bevels, you will welcome to put on your own.

Working on D handle. A little bit of a learning curve, but should get good results within day or two. Octagonal doesn't need any improvement, I think.

Logo is finalized and will order stensils today, so will get them by then end lf the week. I have the etching machine already.

I will start working on a pass-around knife withing a week or so (still getting feedback). I feel pretty confident about my HT and the rest, so if the brave ones of you want me to start working on your knives before the reviews, please let me know.

Here are the pictures of a knife I am sending it for evaluation for grind, fit and finish (as well as sharpen-ability and edge retention). This was an experimental grind (an asymmetric grind) and experimental heat treatment, and it is a bit narrower than a standard (learning experience). In any event, this is a practice knife for testing processes and I accomplished that.

M

Attachment 1345

Attachment 1346

Attachment 1347

Attachment 1348

Attachment 1349

Attachment 1350

Attachment 1351

Attachment 1352

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    Marko, do you bevel the knife all the back to the tip of the tang on the Japanese style knives like they do on Japanese swords or is there a plunge line there somewhere that I can't see?>
    No plunge line. It is a 50/50 double bevel knife, the edge is ground on both sides. Not like a traditional single bevel japanese knife, with a hollow back.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are asking, which is also possible.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

+ Reply to Thread