Quantcast
Pre-Orders for 52100 - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-Orders for 52100

Nihonto are beveled on both sides all the way back to the end of the tang. There is no plunge line at the tsuba, just a continuous set of bevels. the blades are notched in at the tsuba much like the Japanese kitchen knives are notched where they go into the handle. What I am asking is if the tang on these knives os rectangular or trapezoidal in shape for lack of a better way of describing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    No plunge line. It is a 50/50 double bevel knife, the edge is ground on both sides. Not like a traditional single bevel japanese knife, with a hollow back.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are asking, which is also possible.

Using plunge lines is an American knifemaker thing, Marko is doing the knives more like the Japanese way so I doubt that there's a plunge line or if there was it was ground away.

That is correct. I think a plunge line if wouldn't get in a way of a pinch grip, then would be very noticeable to the user, so I have never considered using it. Most larger knives are held with a pinch grip.

I grind 50/50 but I am considering to do an asymetric grind, if it could improve performance.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Exciting, exciting stuff.
    I've noticed a certain clean, focused aesthetic to all of your work; a style that makes it very unmistakably "Marko."
    If, having never seen a blade designed by you, someone showed me a lineup and 6 photos and said "pick the Tsourkan" it would have taken me all of 5 seconds to pick that beautiful, dramatic, but also minimalist sliver of steel out as yours.

I certainly don't NEED another gyuto, but I will buy this one without hesitation.

That knife looks really nice, Marko. I think I'll have to save up for one of your knives. What size suji's are you making?

The practice suji (2) are 280mm on the edge and 295mm tip to handle. One can select any size.

mmmm, suji.
    Music--Food .:':. Dancing--Eating

Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousCowboy View Post
    mmmm, suji.
    +1

Hope I get a job once I get to Aus...

I tried my hand at grinding a sujihiki. This was a test-grind to try the process and identify areas where I need to improve. I think the knife came out all right. For the final version, I need to tune up a profile a bit and add a little bit of thickness at the spine (it's about 2.4mm now, but I would like it to be around 3mm for extra rigidity).

It was more difficult to grind a suji than a gyuto. I think it has to do with suji being a thinner and less tall a blade.

For comparison purposes (profile and geometry), I placed it side-by-side with Shigefusa. Feedback is always welcome.

52100. 110g (w/out a handle). Experimental heat treatment to maximize edge retention while preserving edge stability. In the end of August, me and another forum member will test several steels with several heat treatments for edge retention in a rope cutting test. Until then, this heat treatment is not offered.

PS: in picture #5 from the top the choil shot of Shigefusa geometry looks much thinner than on mine suji, but in reality there is not much of a difference. Shigefusa rounds the choil area at a steeper angle so the chamfer on the inside of the choil makes it look like Shigefusa geometry is much thinner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1794.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	1451

Name:	DSC_1793.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	1452

Name:	DSC_1805.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	1453

Name:	DSC_1809.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	1454

Name:	DSC_1803.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	1455

Name:	DSC_1807.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	1456

Okay, question answered. The Shigefusa appears to have a "plunge" like you would find on an integral. It is just VERY shallow and ground all the way up to the machi.