Custom Knife recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinhtre

Reaction score
I was hoping to get a family member a fairly nice custom chef-style knife and thought maybe rather than googling I could find some recommendations here. I did google and found a company Middleton Knives, and Bob Kramer knives, but I have no clue if they know what they're doing or not. Anyway, I also found the 'which knife' questionairre, so here are my responses to the best of my ability. Would just love some recommendations.

USA
Chef's Knife (as a gift)
Home Use
Right handed
Looking to spend 400-750
Tasks for knife: slicing fruit, vegetables, general everyday home cooking, trimming meats, etc

prefer as little maintenance as possible.

Kramer: A perfect storm has made these knives playthings for the money-no-object rich. 5-figures plus, or win the Kramer lottery (about as much chance as winning the actual lottery).

Middleton: Not really talked about around here. In price range though.

Anyone who makes customs in that price range usually has a waiting list. I'd be looking at Marko Tsourkan, or a utility-line Will Catcheside. Del Ealy could also be an option.

There are some very nice Japanese knives in that price range too.

Some more people will chime in with good advice shortly.

"as little maintenance as possible" + the price range steers me towards a Butch Harner in Carpenter XHP stainless steel, or maybe a Pierre Rodrigue in CPM154.

I was hoping to get a family member a fairly nice custom chef-style knife and thought maybe rather than googling I could find some recommendations here. I did google and found a company Middleton Knives, and Bob Kramer knives, but I have no clue if they know what they're doing or not. Anyway, I also found the 'which knife' questionairre, so here are my responses to the best of my ability. Would just love some recommendations.

USA
Chef's Knife (as a gift)
Home Use
Right handed
Looking to spend 400-750
Tasks for knife: slicing fruit, vegetables, general everyday home cooking, trimming meats, etc

prefer as little maintenance as possible.

It's a nice thought to want to give a custom knife, but a custom knife doesn't necessarily result in a nicer or better knife than a non-custom.

However, they will most likely require more maintenance, except for, perhaps, the aforementioned Harner. And, if the person you are going to give this knife to doesn't know how to take care of a knife, some of the nicer details of a custom knife may be ruined rather quickly.

How long you are willing to wait is also a factor.

I think HHH makes some of the nicest knives anywhere. If you were to contact Randy, he could make suggestions on steel, handle type (wa, yo) length and style. Although, he does have a waiting list, if time is of the essence, some times he can make an exception. Good luck. :cool2:

There are some amazing makers here. Some with longer wait times than others

I'd suggest the following (in no particular order)

-Delbert Ealy
-Bloodroot (get on their email list as they offer some "pre-mades" that don't require waiting for)
-Ian Rogers at Haburn
-Randy Hass at HHH
-Butch Harner

As mentioned above, there are some phenomenal Japanese makers in this price range.
I'd also recommend surfing the Buy Sell Trade Knife page on this forum. It's quite often that some rare gems pop up on there.

For that kind of money there are some really wonderful performing Japanese knives that would in most ways be preferable for the kitchen to what a custom maker can deliver for the price. But this guy does an interesting Damascus and may be able to deliver.
http://cosmoknives.com/its-all-about-the-steel/

Rick

Latest posts

Back