finger notch on TF denka AS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love it. It's very comfortable. I really wonder why not more makers do this.

I held one at a shop near my house and I didn't really like it. I was very close to ordering one direct from him but the shop just happened to get a few.

I found the cutout to be kind of small and felt like more of an annoyance, but I only held it for a minute vs someone that owns one and uses it more often.

I also wasn't super happy with the look of the edge, it was a bit sloppy but it felt super sharp. That seems to be constant with the reviews I've read.

I have a TF 195mm gyuto with the notch. I like it as it helps stabilize the knife well with pinch gripping. The knife is also crazy sharp and retains its edge well. Bought mine from Chef Armoury and they sure make sure the fit and finish is top notch before it leaves their hands.

http://www.chefsarmoury.com/kitchen...maboroshi-no-meito-210mm-gyuto/prod_1554.html

While it is not the denka it is quite good value especially if are buying using usd with aussie dollar being weak.

The unique finger notch will lock your hand & blade direction. good for task like cutting vegetables on a cutting board. However, for some tasks require to change knife's direction frequently, such as cut /clean fish, cuttlefish, squid, shrimp or trimming meats.... etc; the finger notch's edge will be bumping my middle finger occasionally.....it not hurting my finger but feel uncomfortable. Teruyasu Fujiwara denka is one of my best cutter, but the finger notch just not for me.

I have a TF 195mm gyuto with the notch. I like it as it helps stabilize the knife well with pinch gripping. The knife is also crazy sharp and retains its edge well. Bought mine from Chef Armoury and they sure make sure the fit and finish is top notch before it leaves their hands.

http://www.chefsarmoury.com/kitchen...maboroshi-no-meito-210mm-gyuto/prod_1554.html

While it is not the denka it is quite good value especially if are buying using usd with aussie dollar being weak.

man I've contacted chef's armoury before about a different knife and they only ship within australia and to NZ . . . Too bad they've got some good stuff and the exchange rate is favorable :p

man I've contacted chef's armoury before about a different knife and they only ship within australia and to NZ . . . Too bad they've got some good stuff and the exchange rate is favorable :p

Happy to help if you need a local to purchase and post. I work around the corner from them(which is bad for the bank account)

It is the only production knife I've seen with it . . . But also one of the most expensive, so to the extent that means anything I figured they might be onto something. Do you use the wa or yo handle version?

I use the wa handled version.

It's a great knife, one of the best I have. And you can order directly from TF, no need to pay to a middleman in Oz.

I use the wa handled version.

It's a great knife, one of the best I have. And you can order directly from TF, no need to pay to a middleman in Oz.

Same experience here but with a Maboroshi Gyuto & Santoku (sorry for using the S word). I was not as lucky on a Nashiji Nakiri custom ordered to my specs but all is good now after putting the knife on the stones, sanding and polishing the edges...mind you the price was great!

Just be aware that you will get a great blade but if ordered direct it may need a bit of TLC.

I just bought a 210 Maroboshi Gyuto with Wa handle and finger groove. It is my most nimble blade and arrived OOB with a exceedingly sharp edge. On the strength of that knife, I bought 2 more that are in shipment now. Fujiwara san was easy to deal with and I thought his pricing was a solid value. I have a Nakiri with finger groove coming in, and a Deba without a finger groove ordered as well. I like the distinct silouette the knife has with a groove, and it enhances my use. With a Deba, however, I will likely be changing grips and will prefer a more traditional choil.

Could you explain a bit as to what you mean when you say it has a sloppy edge?

Very uneven blade road and grind near the edge. Would probably come out after a couple of sharpenings, but it would take some work to even it out. Like some others said, for the price, those types of things shouldn't exist.

Very uneven blade road and grind near the edge. Would probably come out after a couple of sharpenings, but it would take some work to even it out. Like some others said, for the price, those types of things shouldn't exist.
Here's one where the kireba has been ground level...you can see the inconsistency in the knife's thickness by how high up the grind jumps in places:
RRWn4pu.jpg

Happy to help if you need a local to purchase and post. I work around the corner from them(which is bad for the bank account)

They had a kono hd2 with ichii handle that looked pretty sweet but are currently out of stock. Would totally take you up on that offer in the future. Thanks mate!

That does sucks for your bank acct . . . But so convenient otherwise heh

Back