Sous Vide Sous Vide Cookbook

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Christmas present arrived today (yes, February 20) from my daughter in college. Anova machine. I'm intrigued. Any recommendations on sous vide cookbooks? FWIW, I cook lots of venison.

Modernist cuisine at home has a really good section with tables. Plus, it runs through lots of other techniques as well.

Also, search for Douglas Baldwin's website. He has his entire book on the web and some links to buy it if you wanted a hard copy.

Personally I think Thomas Keller's book is little more than marketing. Pictures overpower content.

Sous Vide is now readily available to home cooks. Slow cooking with a probe at low temperature has been available for quite a long time too ;-) (It's the cook not the kit that matters...).

I think the recipe books that come with domestic SV machines are sufficient to get you going. Or try Sous-Vide Cuisine by Joan Roca & Salvador Brugues. Practical SV recipes for home use.

Adrian

I appreciate your take, Adrian. Unfortunately, the machine didn't have a book in the box so to get the principles of this cooking down I wanted to start some where more focused on the technique/tool than McGee.

I installed the Anova app last weekend and found some number that don't match their blog or other sources. For example, a pork loin on the app was instructed to be sous vide @ 145F for 4 hours. However, their own blog lists recipes at 135F. I hate having to google every time I need to double check temperature and timing and too poor to afford Modernist Cuisine. There has to be a good book that's not all recipes and really covers the temperature vs doneness well for all types and cuts of meats.

I don't go above 135 for pork lion or chops, usually closer to 130/132 because of the extra heat when searing or torching

I installed the Anova app last weekend and found some number that don't match their blog or other sources. For example, a pork loin on the app was instructed to be sous vide @ 145F for 4 hours. However, their own blog lists recipes at 135F. I hate having to google every time I need to double check temperature and timing and too poor to afford Modernist Cuisine. There has to be a good book that's not all recipes and really covers the temperature vs doneness well for all types and cuts of meats.

Check out the chefs steps website.

I have Keller's book. It's beautiful but in most cases, not practical for mortals.

Bumping this old thread instead of starting a new one. The recent pork loin temperature has me interested in exploring a sous vide setup. What books do folks recommend that are technique focused vs. recipe focused? I want to learn how to use sous vide; less interested in what to cook for now.

I've got a few, but, honestly, the Anova app and Serious Eats site has more than I could ever use. Serious Eats best for techniques and explaining every aspect in great detail. Check out creme brulee!

Said several times on KKF but Chefsteps.com is a great site - the baldwin book was a good (original) resource but is very repetitive (IMO) after the first real chapter for the most part. TK Under pressure and MC are good/great, respectively, but the latter comes with a price obviously. 2nd the Kenji (serious eats above) as a great resource as well. You should be able to find TK Under Pressure at a library I'm not sure if Modernist is available (except at maybe Jon Broida's library in Beverly Hills ... LOL ....)

Try sous vide as circulators are (now) reasonably cheap and a basic setup (circulator w/ vac sealer & bags) is really doable < $300 (even less used for good units) and just vac sealing for the freezer storage makes that part worth it IMO ... Lots of hacks if you want to just try it before you go all in but if you cook a bit ... you will likely enjoy it as a side project if nothing else ...

Back