aus10

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petefromNY

Reaction score
Hey guys so ive been doing some looking around for some info on AUS10. Ive come across the steel charts and what not on Z knives but honestly, I have no idea what it means. From what ive read it is comparable to vg10. I would like to know your guys input on sharpenability..retention blah blah and overall what you think of it. The reason i ask is because i plan on purchasing the uraku suji stainless here shortly. from the light conversation and his reputation around here and in the knife community in general im sure it is a superior product. thank you for your time

its actually more similar to 440c than vg-10. On paper, its nothing special, but with a good heat treatment, it can be a very tough and durable steel with above average edge retention. I dont think aus10 is going to every blow anyone's mind, but relative to vg10, i find it to be noticeably tougher and more durable, have about the same edge retention (vg10 has decent edge retention... again, its not the best in class, but its not bad by any means), and a bit easier to sharpen (though aus10 is not the easiest to sharpen, i prefer it to sharpening a misono ux-10).

I hope other people will chime in too, as clearly my opinion will be a biased one, but i hope this is at least a start for you.

I've used a couple AUS-10 knives, and the steel was perfectly nice. I wouldn't hold that steel against a knife that is well made and well ground, by any means. If everything else was equal, I would use an AUS 10 knife interchangeably with a VG-10 knife.

The steel type means very little and trying to read too much into it will lead you away from what is important. How that steel was treated during the processing. The magic of some of the talent around these parts can be making an awesome tool out of a steel they like/feel comfortable working with--often times it would not be the steel you may choose by analysis of Gator's chart (though it is one of my most used phone apps). I choose by maker/retailer and trust that I've chosen someone who will know what steel will allow them to make their best product. Only choice at this point will usually be stainless or not--and you'll likely wind up with a good variety of steels by choosing this way.

As to your initial question I personally know little to nothing about stainless steels in general.

Cheers

i also know little of stainless besides a 19c27 gyuto i have. I would not let the steel deter me away from a knife. I just wanted to know the basics of the sharpenabliaty and some other knowledge.

aus10 is not so far off from 19c27 for the most part (except the suisin inox honyaki, which is a different beast)

The makers I work with do great heat treatment and sharpening of the blades. AUS 10 is fantastic if done right.

I have one and love it. Very easy to sharpen if you have decent stones

Back