some good prices at knife wear right now Masakage, takeda etc etc...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labor of love

https://www.teruyasu.net/products/
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would spread the word that knife wear seems to have some really low prices on certain knives. The Masakage Koishi line is priced alot lower than CKTG...I remember the 240mm gyuto retailing for around $330 about a year ago, today US customers can purchase this particular knife for $230 shipped. The takedas are cheaper too, though the savings arent as significant.

Overall I find knifewear to be overpriced by 10-15%. However with CAD being down, free shipping over $100 and sale prices it might be a good opportunity for US costumers.

P.S. I only wish one of the big US retailers would offer free NA shipping.

JKI ships free yeah?
Overall I find knifewear to be overpriced by 10-15%. However with CAD being down, free shipping over $100 and sale prices it might be a good opportunity for US costumers.

P.S. I only wish one of the big US retailers would offer free NA shipping.

I would love to see a Kochi 240 gyuto discounted. Demand rules it does not have to?

The online store put a dent in the brick & motar store, and direct sales
have the potential to do the same to the on line store....that's only if
there's customer service. US dollar is strong now, but it won't always be.

Yeah, they sell out pretty quick when he gets them in (Kochi) so wouldn't see why he would discount them--maybe a price increase? I have owned two and most likely won't be selling this one.

Dispossessed--Jon has free shipping over $100 in US (maybe conus) but believe Ruso was asking about North America?

JKI ships free yeah?

As chinacats pointed out, I was referring to North America (NA) which is quite bigger than CONUS ;)

The online store put a dent in the brick & motar store, and direct sales
have the potential to do the same to the on line store....that's only if
there's customer service. US dollar is strong now, but it won't always be.

I am not too sure about the above "rant", but KnifeWear has about four brick and mortar stores across Canada and I never had any issues with Customer Service with them.

russo,
I think that you miss the point. Yes, brick and motar, as well as some online domestic stores...they have the gold standard
of customer service. My point is nothing more than what is meant when people say that the world is flat...i.e, globalization.
If you heard a "rant" that was not intended. More an observation of the trends in global/internet retail.

My only rant is that I would love to own a Kochi...merely based on what I see and read. In my eyes, it's a beaut.

Their koichi's are on sale. Given the Canadian dollar is around .75 usd it may be time to buy. With my math it's just a smidge over $200 for a 240 gyuto. I actually just bought a masakage mizu 75mm petty and a 150mm masakage shimo petty. Had to buy two to get free shipping haha :) all my knives minus my honesuki and yanagiba have come from there.

Ordered a couple of Masakage Koishi knives from KW in CA .15 % off plus good CAD/USD exchange rate and free shipping to the US to boot.I feel I am getting a lot a bang for my buck .The knives arrived via USPS SIG REQ to The San Francisco Bay Area in about 5 Days.Killer knives and a wonderful dealer who provides top notch service.Customs cost to me=Zero

I'm not aware of anyone outside the u.s. selling kochi. Tell me again , where?

Jon is the only retailer who sells Kochi.

Korin has a "Kochi" line but is not what we think of when we hear Kochi.

Mowgs.

how does the exchange rate work online ? do they just take it off the price ?

how does the exchange rate work online ? do they just take it off the price ?
When you pay with Paypal the currency is automatically converted.The Current rate at Paypal is 1 U.S. Dollar = 1.2222 Canadian Dollars.My Masakage Koishi AS Gyuto 240mm cost me $289.00 CAD which converted to USD is $236.46 USD signed sealed and delivered to my door.I hope that helps to explain how it works...
Best,
salmonkiller

When you pay with Paypal the currency is automatically converted.The Current rate at Paypal is 1 U.S. Dollar = 1.2222 Canadian Dollars.My Masakage Koishi AS Gyuto 240mm cost me $289.00 CAD which converted to USD is $236.46 USD signed sealed and delivered to my door.I hope that helps to explain how it works...
Best,
salmonkiller

Yeah...what this guy said. I too also ordered a Koishi gyuto-only $236 shipped!

If the canadian dollar is in the shitter buy from canadian sites, when the canadian dollar is high we buy from american sites to save money.

K.wear told me that I would be charged about 20.00 for a customs fee...
that's not a bad papal rate...yesterday the real exchange rate was around 1.25.
Smaller transaction fee for for CD than yen. Did the girl have it wrong about the custom's fee?

There is no customs fee for knives from Canada.
This is not 100% correct.
NAFTA agreement is the trade agreement for certain goods MADE in NA. If you buy a Japanese made knife from Canada, you should pay an import tax as if you would buy it from Japan. However, there are chances that customs will let it go unchecked. At least, this how importing works to Canada and I do not see why the reverse would be different.

If the knife is made in Canada (i.e. Pierre Rodrigue) there will be zero import tax.

I stand corrected Sir:O. I have not however, ever been charged customs on purchases from KW. Might just be lucky, but that would be out of character:D.

Be well,
Mikey

If youre not sure just check out with paypal and you can see what your total will be in USD. Like I already stated, I wasnt charged for anything besides the price for the knife(shipping was included in the price)

Boy, that K.wear rep sent me down the wrong track. She didn't even know the paypal exchange rate.
I had a friend attempt to see the rate before ordering a knife from japan...and, darn, he hit one extra
button without knowing it. Big deal, I'm only see a savings of about 12.00 for a Takeda. Then again...
Isn't south louisiana extended family of canada? I would go with real world report...what, is custom's
going to hold up the package?

Boy, that K.wear rep sent me down the wrong track. She didn't even know the paypal exchange rate.
I had a friend attempt to see the rate before ordering a knife from japan...and, darn, he hit one extra
button without knowing it. Big deal, I'm only see a savings of about 12.00 for a Takeda. Then again...
Isn't south louisiana extended family of canada? I would go with real world report...what, is custom's
going to hold up the package?
Zero Charges from Customs for all previously ordered knives from KW Canada to San Francisco, CA.I have another kitchen knife from KW that just cleared customs this morning and it will be out for delivery today with the USPS today.I have never been charged any customs fees ever when ordering from KW.This is a real world/ real time report....

Canada Post information:
Date Time Location Description Retail Location Signatory Name
2015/02/26 16:47 USSFOA,USA International item is in transit to the delivery office.
09:33 USSFOA,USA Item has been sent to customs in the destination country
2015/02/25 20:01 USSFOA,USA Item has arrived in foreign country
18:55 USSFOA, International shipment has arrived in a foreign country
2015/02/24 21:29 RICHMOND International item has left Canada
16:16 RICHMOND Item processed
2015/02/23 17:54 CALGARY Item processed
15:27 CALGARY Item picked up by Canada Post

USPS information:

February 28, 2015 , 4:45 am

Arrived at Unit

San Francisco, CA 94107

Your item arrived at the Post Office at 4:45 am on February 28, 2015 in SAN FRANCISCO,CA 94107.

February 27, 2015 , 11:40 pm

Arrived at USPS Facility

SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94188

February 26, 2015 , 4:47 pm

Inbound Out of Customs

Inbound Into Customs

February 25, 2015 , 8:01 pm

Processed Through Sort Facility

ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)

February 24, 2015 , 9:29 pm

VANCOUVER, CANADA

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

February 24, 2015 , 4:15 pm

VANCOUVER, CANADA

February 23, 2015 , 3:27 pm

Acceptance

CANADA

I suggest selecting a knife from The Masakage Koishi line. Today is the last day for the 15% sale and they offer free shipping if you purchase over $200CAD.You really can't beat that deal considering the exchange rate and the quality of the knife.To find the Exchange rate on Paypal is little tricky, but possible.I would not expect a dealer to be able to provide Paypal exchange rates to me.I suggest your own due diligence.You will have to log on to your account to see the exchange rates. A google search will point you in the direction to for the Paypal instructions.
salmonkiller

I have not usually been charged a customs fee for international stuff. One time I was (it was a pretty expensive item), and I had to pay 5%. Had to write the UPS guy a check when he delivered it. I think a lot of times they don't bother assessing customs fees.

These are some tough choices. I guess it's the mystique of the Takeda that talks to me.
In my case, I might be asking the vendor to go select a Sasanoha medium...but short
and tall (ie. about 230mm and 50mm tall...thereabouts...if possible). I get character
and performance all in one package. Then again, maybe the banno Takeda and a Masagake gyuto?
Shucks.

I think a lot of times they don't bother assessing customs fees.
I agree, I've imported many things and I had to pay duty only two times. It appears that with the volume of packages the probability of a duty rises with the cost of the item.
My rules of thumb are:
Avoid Fedex/UPS if possible
Ask vendor to declare value less than $50
Less description is better. "Kitchen tool/knife" is much better than "hand made Japanese high end kitchen knife".

It will be interesting to see if my postal worker has a requirement for me.
I was shocked to see the size of the savings on a koishi, something most here already know.
I had been looking for a tall petty for my wife
and the 180 gyuto looked perfect. K.wear does not list the height..i'm guessing 40-44..
which was her request. The strength of the dollar works out today, but it's not really
a good thing in the long run.

Back