Mac Knife Japanese Series with nonstick coating 8.5 inch

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantality

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this knife?

I am in the market for a knife to use for sushi purposes. Cutting fish, rolls, cucumbers, avocado, other ingredients, etc.

How does this knife compare to other similarly priced traditional Japanese knifes such as gyutos, sujuhikis, pettys, etc?

No experience. I'm a bit sceptic about coatings: will they last, what happens when sharpening and thinning, is it food safe? 8.5" is very short. Consider a Fujiwara FKH (carbon) or FKM (stainless) 270mm with JCK, japanesechefsknife.com
Price around $80, flat shipping rate $7.

8.5" (215 mm) is far too short. I used a 240mm for a while (hopeless), then 270mm then 330mm and now I think 270 is a small knife. (It is fine for most people actually). You want a clean, one stroke cut. You want it razor sharp and it will need a touch up often. A sharp knife with good geometry will not stick anyway for sushi / sashimi, so forget non-stick coatings and invest in a good knife. That is what I would do anyway.

Have that knife. Coating wears off when sharpening. In the end I sanded it all off due to worries about food safety. Not a bad little knife. Kinda fragile. As the knife is rather thin it takes a sharp edge at 1000 grit. No point going much finer than that. Rather flexy too which I didn't like. I use it for filetting fish now and it does a great job.

Meant to say that the Teflon is just a gimmick and is prone to stiction. Probably cause the knife is a thin V with little or no geometry.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't care much for the nonstick coating. My head chef uses this for a lot of the tasks in the sushi bar. He sometimes uses it to get a slice or two of the fish he needs but if he needs to cut a lot of fish, he usually pulls out a Yanagi. The coating on his knife is also all gone. I believe he scrubbed it all off.

Back