JMJones Knives gallery.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMJones

Reaction score
I will post pics of knives that I have made in this thread. Any comments or questions are welcome.

Here is a San Mai Gyuto with w2 core and desert ironwood with M3 Mokume spacers handle by Honu Mana Wa handles.

Here is a pattern welded Chinese style cleaver, this is one of the more difficult forgings I have made and it really pushed the limits of myself and my tools.

The chuka bocho is really beautiful. It's nice to see custom makers tackle them.

Welcome back John :) That Cleaver is a beast, whats the grind? I think I can see a convex and a hollow then a convex again but it could be the pattern playing with me.

Great to see you back on the forum John.

Be well,
Mikey

The grind is distal taper with a half height flat ish grind. The spine at the heel is 1/8 inch thick with about 5mm of belly from heel to mid point and from mid point to tip. The grind is modeled after the Sugimoto #6.

Ten bar multi twist
Blade Material: - Turkish twist 1084/15n20
Blade length: 240mm
Height at Heel: 48mm
Spine thickness @ heel: 3.45
Spine thickness 1 cm from tip: 1.4mm
Handle: Ironwood and African Blackwood
Weight: 260 gm
Available

Also Thanks given to Delbert Ealy and the late John White with helping me through this pattern!

Damn! I love that pattern, makes me think of organized chaos...like a Mongol horde :viking:

Be well,
Mikey

Damn! I love that pattern, makes me think of organized chaos...like a Mongol horde :viking:

Be well,
Mikey

Thanks Mike! This pattern was probably the most difficult one I have tried to date. A lot of fun but many headaches.

Sweet pattern! Looks very thin behind the edge for a "hefty" gyuto, I bet it is a very good cutter.

Name: Stainless san Mai guyto
Blade Material: 420 ss and w2
Blade length: 8.12
Height at Heel: 43mm
Spine thickness @ heel: 2mm
Spine thickness 1 cm from tip: .73
Handle: Stabilized buckeye
Weight:144gm

Laddered w's
Blade 240 mm
Heel 47mm
3mm thick at heal