Meat Fabricating Knives - New Line

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I am going to finally realize an idea that I have sat on for years - making butchering knives. It will be a while before I get to a whole line, but for now, this is a second type of this series that I produced.
I have already put some work in making a scimitar and I think I am ready to start a production version of this knife.

This is a small boning knife that will be used to fabricate lamb. It is ground as kitchen knife, not a hunting knife)), pretty stiff, but thin at the edge. It's a prototype, and I would need more feedback before it will become a production knife. Oversize handle. Comes with a leather sheath.

DSC_1171.JPG

Marko - the knife looks great, but I am wondering how would its use compare to a honesuki. You mention thin behind the edge AND stiff blade - how it will fare when it occasionally meets a bone? How would it differ from a petty of similar size? I am positively curios :)

Marko - the knife looks great, but I am wondering how would its use compare to a honesuki. You mention thin behind the edge AND stiff blade - how it will fare when it occasionally meets a bone? How would it differ from a petty of similar size? I am positively curios :)

I would need to find out more about performance, but to thicken the edge is always easier than to thin - a couple of passes on a flattening diamond plate. The knife is to be uses for fabricating a lamb. I will ask the tester to compare it to honesuki and to report the results.

Marko

Hi Marko

1st - Any general dimensions on the small boning knife would be helpful ... lovely by the way!

2nd - Would you consider selling and mounting (if that is even possible) just the blade to a supplied Wa handle (FWIW - Mickey built me a handle (Wa) for a Hankotsu that has never materialized (waited 2+ years for now ...). Just curious either way (no offense 2 u and I love your handles - just trying to find a knife for the handle I own!).

PM me when you get the chance!

Thx Tom

I wish I was fabricating meat nowadays.

That looks like a fancified version of my favorite boning knife.

Marko, I'm still a little miffed why you never ask my opinion? I still have them.

I work at a farm and we butcher a fair number of animals ourselves, lambs are actually next on the list. Usually I use Victorinox and Dexters for that kind of work, especially around bones. That said, it would be really fun using Marko's knives for that. Really fun.

I've got to have one of these for sure. Also, I'm sending you a PM Marko. Thanks, Gary.

That looks good Marko I like the profile for breaking down animals and primals. My son and I broke down a very large doe this year and I sharpened two Hankotsu's for the task. A Honesuki would not have worked for that job - yours would have done nicely.

I would need a little help on thickness at the edge of the small boning knife. I make it stiff, but how thin would it make sense to grind it at the edge? I heat treat my steels so they are hard, but don't chip, but most of my knives are very thin above edge, and this might not be the desirable characteristic for a knife that comes in contact with the bone.

Thanks,
Marko

Boning knives want to be fairly stout and not too long. That's why I like a Hankotsu for breaking down primals, or whole animals. Knife should get worked into, around and through a joint and not be compromised. I think too thin behind the edge might be weak in that respect.

I think the edge thickness of the heavy chef knife you sold me would be fine. The biggest issue that meat cutters have had with some of my nice meat knives has been how thin they are at the tip. A delicate tip on a boning knife is just a repair that hasn't happened yet.

BTW - I have four full time and two part time meat cutters that report to me. I also live next door to a butcher shop and have friends that run a wholesale charcuterie business. I spend an inordinate amount of time in the company of professional meat cutters.

Tue boning knife was pretty sturdy. I like to work with 3.5mm stock, so that's how thick it was at the handle and about 1.75mm 10mm from the tip. Edge thickness is also something that can be adjusted.

Charlie I might take your offer.

Marko

I am finishing a couple of ready-made scimitars in 52100 convex ground. Made after an old American scimitar, about 320mm on the edge. This one is a custom, S ground, but ready-made use the the same profile.

IMG_20150415_221759922_HDR.jpg

Hi, I'm a Market Manager and I'm interested in your line. I absolute hate Victorinox knives...they do not hold an edge for anything...so obviously I'm looking for something that holds an edge and is carbon steel. If you were to go into production, I would highly suggest you have a plastic handle. Wood handles are a no no with health inspectors.

Hi, I'm a Market Manager and I'm interested in your line. I absolute hate Victorinox knives...they do not hold an edge for anything...so obviously I'm looking for something that holds an edge and is carbon steel. If you were to go into production, I would highly suggest you have a plastic handle. Wood handles are a no no with health inspectors.

I still have a couple of carbon scimitar blanks (52100), but I think after that I will try A2 steel. Edge retention on that steel is pretty amazing compared to just any steel. For handles I can use linen or paper micarta, or some other man-made material, like Corian.

I'm interested in an 8 or 9 inch. How much would one cost? Always looking to try something new.

I'm interested in an 8 or 9 inch. How much would one cost? Always looking to try something new.

There is one type that I am considering, that is shorter than a typical scimitar (a typical is about 300mm). this one is about 9-9.5 inch. I will post pics tomorrow of the old blade that I have in my possession. If there is interest for at least 2-3, I will make it. I don't take any custom orders at the moment.

An additional question. How about stainless steel scimitar? I will heat treat it to be about 62RC with excellent wear resistance and sharpen-ability.

Thanks,

Marko

Back