Quantcast
Gallery- Martell Knives - Page 18
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Gallery- Martell Knives

The spalted handle looks great.

I have a question for Dave.
    Does the wood being end grain cause any difficulties for you?
    So far I have not cut any wood that way, but if it works out good after being stabilized maybe I will give it a try.
    You can get some pretty wild patterns with the end grain.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Hi Mark,
    Sometimes the grain ends will stand up and in that case I have to finish sand then fill with CA and then re sand at a high grit. Also sometimes it's tough to not undercut the tang and/or pins too. I think it's worth trying because cutting it this way can add some extra character to the block.

Dave nice pictures, knife looks great! I can't even see the bondo and wood putty! Now what's with the PM you sent me about not getting the knife wet, to warm or putting any pressure on the handle?

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    The spalted handle looks great.

I have a question for Dave.
    Does the wood being end grain cause any difficulties for you?
    So far I have not cut any wood that way, but if it works out good after being stabilized maybe I will give it a try.
    You can get some pretty wild patterns with the end grain.

I have mixed experiences with end grain woods and stabilizing. They are much more likely to crack, so just be prepared to lose a few. Before I use one of them, I intentionally try to break it and only the survivors make it to a handle.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    Dave nice pictures, knife looks great! I can't even see the bondo and wood putty! Now what's with the PM you sent me about not getting the knife wet, to warm or putting any pressure on the handle?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Here we have Colin's (Lucky) #13 which turned out to be my (Un-Lucky) #13

240mm O-1 Gyuto with spalted elm scales (customer supplied) with funky (metallic flash looking) koa bolsters (wood from Burl Source) with G10 liners & copper pins.

To explain why #13 is my un-lucky number I'd have to tell you that this knife easily slowed down another 5 knives from being worked on. I lost one blank, we lost a couple of blocks of wood, and it just flat out kicked my ass and fought all the way to the very end. It was as if there was a force keeping me from getting this one done.

In the end I'm happy with the results as I believe this is a good knife Colin is getting but I am somewhat disappointed that our original ideas didn't get realized. I had hoped to do something extra special for Colin since we've been friends for so long but #13 just wouldn't have it.

To you other knifemakers reading this, think twice about agreeing to stamp a #13 on a knife....LOL

Seriously though - thanks Colin!

Love it! Wood reminds me of an old map. Something Lewis & Clark might have carried.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Love it! Wood reminds me of an old map. Something Lewis & Clark might have carried.
    It reminds me of a big snake...like a python or a boa constrictor or something.

It's the Rorschach test of gyutos!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Dave is it an optical illusion or does the wa handle look a lot thicker or more robust than the western? They both look great just can't tell approximate size on my iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrano View Post
    Dave is it an optical illusion or does the wa handle look a lot thicker or more robust than the western? They both look great just can't tell approximate size on my iPad.
    The wa handle is thicker only at the front end and it sticks out in this case because it's being compared to my western handles where I taper the front down significantly. This is a standard thickness tapered wa handle from Stefan that would probably not even be noticed as stout if in another context. I do see what you're saying though and even another person asked me about it too.

+ Reply to Thread