Quantcast
Gallery- Martell Knives - Page 22
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Gallery- Martell Knives

Not sure I am going to be able to pick my jaw off the floor. Spectacular.

Wow thanks guys! I wasn't sure if anyone would even like it.

Well, most guys just don't want to hurt your feelings, don't cha know.........
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Well, most guys just don't want to hurt your feelings, don't cha know.........

Yeah it's all about making me feel good. LOL

One of kind beauty! Great job Dave!

First of all, I like the direction this is going in terms of handle bling, and I think that handle is amazing, especially in those photos of the handle by itself.

With that said, there is something about the angle of the spacer that confuses my eye when the knife is viewed as a whole. The butt slides one way, the spacer (in a highlighted way) another direction, then the blade heal drops straight and the profile takes over. I can't put my finger on it, but the spacer promotes my eye moving backwards towards the butt of the handle.

But hey, that's just me and I am partially color blind

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    First of all, I like the direction this is going in terms of handle bling, and I think that handle is amazing, especially in those photos of the handle by itself.

With that said, there is something about the angle of the spacer that confuses my eye when the knife is viewed as a whole. The butt slides one way, the spacer (in a highlighted way) another direction, then the blade heal drops straight and the profile takes over. I can't put my finger on it, but the spacer promotes my eye moving backwards towards the butt of the handle.

But hey, that's just me and I am partially color blind

k.

That's not so weird actually, I noticed something similar the second I posted the pictures and really had a chance to look and study the knife. I purposely made my gyuto & suji patterns to have tips & butts that are angled very similar so that there is a flow and then I went broke the flow by putting the angled spacer going the opposite way. Had I thought of this beforehand I would have angled it the other way. The thing is when you're working with blocks of wood aside from the knife sometimes you don't see the whole picture. I learned something here. I just hope that Josh doesn't read this and hate it now

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    That's not so weird actually, I noticed something similar the second I posted the pictures and really had a chance to look and study the knife. I purposely made my gyuto & suji patterns to have tips & butts that are angled very similar so that there is a flow and then I went broke the flow by putting the angled spacer going the opposite way. Had I thought of this beforehand I would have angled it the other way. The thing is when you're working with blocks of wood aside from the knife sometimes you don't see the whole picture. I learned something here. I just hope that Josh doesn't read this and hate it now
    Oh I'm reading it Dave

Nah, I still love it! It really got me to the different I wanted. I liked the straight spacer but I really like the angled spacer. In future I would also go the other way as it attracts the focus towards the blade rather than away, but for me it would be hardly noticeable as I kinda just wanna stare at the handle for a little bit.

Oh and Karing, I'm colour blind too!

and I'm at least 50 percent robot!

I bet that Fish is looking down from wherever he is and smiling.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I think it looks great Dave, I can imagine the clamping being very fiddly but its all worth it. Has it made you think of any jigs to make gluing the bits together easier on this type of construction?

+ Reply to Thread