D. Martell Gallery- Martell Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
**PLEASE skip to the end (last page) of this thread to view my most recent work.

Here's Martell knife #1

Hawaiian Signature Wood, Black Canvas Micarta Bolster, O-1 steel

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Martell Knife#2

Ancient New Zealand Kauri Wood, Black Canvas Micarta Bolster, O-1

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Really nice Dave.

That iron wood is a knockout!

I would have a hard time choosing between these knives, they all look great IMHO. I can't believe I still haven't finished a kauri wa handle, but I am working on it.

Stefan

Thanks guys. :)

Hey does anyone think that my mark is getting any better, clearer, crisper, deeper, darker, whatever? This is such a nerve racking part to have to do at the next to last step.

Thanks guys. :)

Hey does anyone think that my mark is getting any better, clearer, crisper, deeper, darker, whatever? This is such a nerve racking part to have to do at the next to last step.

3rd time is the charm!

While scrolling through the photos I noticed that the makers mark was getting better with every knife.
I personally like the Hawaiian Signature Wood the best. I would like to see you use ebony bolsters, I feel they might blend better with the black micarta pin.

The Martell mark to me looks deeper and bolder but fuzzier. The #3 mark looks the best so far though.

I would like to see you use ebony bolsters, I feel they might blend better with the black micarta pin.

I think that you're correct it would blend in better but I'm not touching ebony - it's a cursed wood for knifemakers.

Would you get a better match with black paper micarta instead of the linen micarta?

It's canvas that I'm using now and yeah Pierre actually suggested switching to paper or linen to hide the pin better. I'm somewhat partial to the carbon fiber (esque) look of the canvas though.

really nice work dave. I like #2 a lot. I can not wait to hear how the perform.

I agree on the ebony bolster. The amount needed is inexpensive and has all of the qualities desirable in this application.
I have not had any problems with it in handles.

Knife #4 is done. This one has Norfolk Pine scales with a couple of copper pins for something different.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

P1010012.jpg

P1010017.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010021.jpg

Nice! I like the copper pins and the electro etching is looking great.

Thanks, I'm starting to figure that device out, it's not hard just little things make a difference in the quality of the mark.

I'm not fond of the copper pins on that one...but the etching is your best yet!

Can't wait till these get put through the paces.

nice mark on this latest blade
dave your moisiac pin needs more copper to make this realy flow (just sayig as i know how hard it is to pick wood and pin stock )

+1 on the etch!

I think that when those pins start to patina, they will really highlight some of the contrasting colours in the wood. All these knives have a very "classy" look.

That's what I was thinking - the copper pins will patina and will (hopefully) look better.

I think it's unique, and adds character. A numbered series where no two are the same, It would definitely have value and appeal to some collectors. Especially if his work takes off

Back