Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big achievement today!

Big achievement today!

For the first time (today!) I've managed to shape a wa handle with a metal spacer and it stayed together!!

What's the big deal you ask?

When shaping wa handles you have to do them off-knife (vs westerns being done on-knife) where there is no tang and epoxy mass to hold the handle together. Most times this isn't a big deal as the materials don't store heat very well allowing the joints to stay joined. But metal spacers heat up very quickly and then melt the epoxy which then contributes to the handle falling apart....a real pisser of a moment, let me tell you.

I've tried a few different methods over the years and none worked except for inserting a wooden dowel as a core, this works great, however the size of the dowel limits the outer dimensions the handle can be shaped down to. I've found this troubling on small handles and when tapering is warranted, which for me is always.

So I went back to an idea that I tried unsuccessfully before - internal pins - but this time I got it to work out and I believe in a repeatable manner. These pins allow for a strong hold between components, shear resist, and more epoxy surface contact.

To test I used a nickel silver spacer as the metal component (next to try copper - yikes!) and even though the spacer got hot to the touch often I was able to hog away and shape without a fail. I did, when the spacer got too hot, water dunk it but beyond an uncomfortable touch issue I don't believe that it needed this to stay together.

I'm sure this isn't all that exciting to most of you but to me this is a big deal. I'm off to hand sand and finish the handle now...all smiles....for a change.

Any up charge to add 17 various metal spacers to my handle coupon, Dave?

Very inneresting....

If you're in the market to fill the void in the custom wa handle department, I'll definitely have some work to throw your way at some point.

Pictures or it didn't happen
    Oh wait, you mean we can customize our signatures?

Congratulations. It's impressive to see after all these years you are still striving to broaden your craft and not become locked in to a comfort zone. Hope there is a lot more smiles for you going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Absolutely correct Captain! And BTW Dave, some of us are very interested... particularly those of us with projects in the pipeline.

Incidentally, PM sent.

I am readying a dozen sheets of 24k gold to send your way to work into a handle

Quote Originally Posted by brianh View Post
    Any up charge to add 17 various metal spacers to my handle coupon, Dave?
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    I am readying a dozen sheets of 24k gold to send your way to work into a handle

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post

I can't show the handle yet, it's a surprise for a Martell knife buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporks View Post
    Very inneresting....

If you're in the market to fill the void in the custom wa handle department, I'll definitely have some work to throw your way at some point.

I can make the wa handle....but no fancy stuff!

Yeah seriously though, no mammoth narwhal butt ox unicorm anything. Think "basic" when thinking of me for wa handles, upgrades would be buffalo horn and a thin metal spacer...LOL