Thread: Forgecrafting Again

Forgecrafting Again

10" Forgecraft chef's knife that's been thinned (a ton!), spine/choil rounded, and converted to accept a wa handle. This one is headed out to JKI to get a burnt chestnut handle installed, should come out real good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010002.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	502.2 KB 
ID:	28694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010005.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	388.7 KB 
ID:	28695  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010021.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	428.0 KB 
ID:	28698   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010007.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	351.0 KB 
ID:	28696  

Name:	P1010013.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	368.9 KB 
ID:	28697  

For those of you that asked me about this work and I declined I'm reconsidering offering this service. These knives are difficult to thin, very easy to wreck, so as long as you can agree not to hold me responsible for screw ups and losses then I'm game. I'm just not interested in stalking ebay for replacements.

There's a certain appeal to a vintage FC if you ask me similar to a vintage Griswold. Sure you can a modern equivalent, but it's something about the heritage I suppose

I just picked up the two that Dave did for me. It was well worth the effort and risk. These knives are stunning...almost like they were made for conversion. Center shot is a Martell handle, flankers are by Mikey Riggen.
    I'm gonna give them a shakedown cruise this weekend.

Name:	P1010034.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	258.8 KB 
ID:	28700
    Last edited by ecchef; 08-23-2015 at 08:29 PM.
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. - Lawrence

That looks great, thanks Dave! Can't wait to take her for a spin!

I picked this one up about three years ago on the bay, after Mike Henry did a stellar job converting a used one that i'd bought previously from Son (I think mine was one of the first couple he converted). I was just about ready to finally send this one off to Mike, when he up and retired I debated selling it, until I saw the excellent work you did on Dave's (ecchef).
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    For those of you that asked me about this work and I declined I'm reconsidering offering this service. These knives are difficult to thin, very easy to wreck, so as long as you can agree not to hold me responsible for screw ups and losses then I'm game. I'm just not interested in stalking ebay for replacements.
    I love me some risk reward! Someday I'll find that box where I hid away all those rainy day knives

Dave, that blade looks gorgeous!