Quantcast
Gallery- Martell Knives - Page 15
Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Gallery- Martell Knives

Oolala, that is NICE!

Well, Dave, that's about as close to a perfect execution of my vision as you can get! Outstanding.

Here's the back story...One of the best parts of my day is driving past a little stretch of beach just south of Kin-cho, where I work, in the morning.
    The ocean is a beautiful blue, with hints of sand bar peeking through in spots and the sun glinting off the water. I wanted my knife to embody that image.
    I picked a block of wood from an e-bay vendor (staburl), and gave Dave free reign. We discussed various bloster materials at length, only to decide on nothing.
    I got a cryptic pm asking only if I "liked copper" somewhere along the line. I didn't ask why. I had no idea what the final bolster material would be. The finished combination was up to Dave, and it was almost like he was reading my mind.

The maple represents the sand of the beach; the burl, the blue of the water with its color variations and swirling eddys; the copper pins the reflection of the sun.
    I may be a little biased, but in my opinion it all works together magnificently! Only drawback is that it's too friggin pretty to use! I love it.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Well, Dave, that's about as close to a perfect execution of my vision as you can get! Outstanding.

Here's the back story...One of the best parts of my day is driving past a little stretch of beach just south of Kin-cho, where I work, in the morning.
    The ocean is a beautiful blue, with hints of sand bar peeking through in spots and the sun glinting off the water. I wanted my knife to embody that image.
    I picked a block of wood from an e-bay vendor (staburl), and gave Dave free reign. We discussed various bloster materials at length, only to decide on nothing.
    I got a cryptic pm asking only if I "liked copper" somewhere along the line. I didn't ask why. I had no idea what the final bolster material would be. The finished combination was up to Dave, and it was almost like he was reading my mind.

The maple represents the sand of the beach; the burl, the blue of the water with its color variations and swirling eddys; the copper pins the reflection of the sun.
    I may be a little biased, but in my opinion it all works together magnificently! Only drawback is that it's too friggin pretty to use! I love it.
    I love the story and the handle turned out perfectly, IMO. Congratulations, Dave and good work, Dave.

Too pretty to use... maybe, but why have it if you're not going to take pleasure in using it everyday. I don't know if you just made up that story after seeing the knife or not, but that's the best story I ever heard for the creation of a piece of kitchen cutlery.

With that backstory, wow, the handle matches perfectly indeed
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    Too pretty to use... maybe, but why have it if you're not going to take pleasure in using it everyday. I don't know if you just made up that story after seeing the knife or not, but that's the best story I ever heard for the creation of a piece of kitchen cutlery.
    Nah....believe me, it'll get used allright. I still have 23 cases of 112A's to blow through!
    Story's true. I'll have to dig up the pic that inspired it.
    That handle would look completely different if I was still living in New Jersey, that's for sure. (exit 14c by the way )

Now I just have to sweat out the shipping. Usually about a month or so.
    Last edited by ecchef; 07-15-2012 at 01:02 AM.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

That makes me want to sharpen and use my Hiro! Very reminiscent. Yea that shot Jim posted is the "money" shot fo suuuuurrrre

PS.... universe is back in balance... thank you Dave

See Dave, Ecchef's choice only further proves what I've talked about with you in the past. Envision something and leave it to the maker. Beautiful story and beautiful knife to match. Great

Kind Regards

Bryan

sweet knife boss.....exit 14a here!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

Quote Originally Posted by sudsy9977 View Post
    sweet knife boss.....exit 14a here!
    Ahhh...Bayonne! Used to hang out a bar called Wolf's Tavern on 2nd & C.
    Probably buried under a condo now.

Ryan, I thought you were down the shore somewhere...Toms River or something like that.
    Last edited by ecchef; 01-05-2012 at 07:27 AM.