Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolsterless Western knives?

Bolsterless Western knives?

What do you guys think about bolsterless western handles?

I'm sitting here thinking about the purpose of bolsters and realizing that they play more of an aesthetic role than anything. What's your take on bolsterless western handles?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    What do you guys think about bolsterless western handles?

I'm sitting here thinking about the purpose of bolsters and realizing that they play more of an aesthetic role than anything. What's your take on bolsterless western handles?
    Haslinger's kitchen knives are all bolsterless as far as I can tell. I think you just have to figure out how you want the front face of the scale to be finished. I.e. squared off or rounded.
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I personally like the bolster for aesthetics and heck, I think it makes the knife more comfortable to hold. I also find that stuff builds up right next to the handle when there isn't one...

A friend recently asked me why they're used, here's what I replied.....

Bolsters are (suppose to be) for protecting the edges of the wood scales (from moisture and knocks, etc) as well as balancing the knife. Today, with stabilized woods, bolsters aren't necessary for this purpose of moisture protection but can serve to protect the front edges from chipping. With the thin knives we use bolsters don't help but hurt balance so metal ones aren't the way to go always. I feel their greatest reason for being used is looks alone and maybe they also offer some value of quality perception since many people feel a bolsterless western means "cheap knife".

Aesthetics mainly, but I think a knife can look good in either case. I like the looks of Thomas Haslingers handles. I guess the preconception is that bolsterless equals cheap. Bolsters also add a nice contrast to the handle material. If you can figure out a way to make it look good and feel comfortable, I'd be for it.

Yeah, if you go bolsterless, it would have to be well executed to keep it from looking cheap. Murray Carter does his IP line with and without bolsters. The ones without don't look nearly as nice.
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Dave, I don't think they're necessary. I'd like to see what you can come up with sans metal bolster.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Yeah I'd like to see too. I think Thomas's handles look nice on his page, but I haven't seen one in person.
    I haven't done a rehandle yet without bolsters, but it would be a lot easier to cut out that step that's for sure.

Dave,

Fish made bolsterless look good. Maybe he could be your inspiration?

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”