Quantcast
Bolsterless Western knives? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolsterless Western knives?

I prefer the look and feel of a bolster on western styled knifes and western styled handles. Aesthetics do mean a lot to me. On many Japanese knifes I prefer Wa handles. It's all personal preference, of course, but before I discovered Japanese knives I thought bolsterless meant cheap stamped knives. The presence of a bolster meant forged and therefore higher quality. Now that I know better I still can't get that reaction out of my mind.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Personally speaking I wouldn't use a Hasslinger as a good example. His handles are probably the reason (originally) I don't own one of his knives.

Granted his newer ones aren't as offensive.

I can see it both ways and I myself am stuck with the quality look and feel to mean something to me. I know that many makers don;t use them anymore and Rick bringing up some of Fish's work as examples does show how there are other options.

BTW, I'm not just asking this question for my work (although I am considering it for a future project) but I'm very interested in this subject and thinking a lot about it recently.

Would Dels hybrid handles be considered bolsterless? His look great with the two tones of wood, even though it is not a traditional western or wa. I think the possibilities are endless and with your attention to detail and meticulous nature anything you crank out would look pretty good.

I have a Carter IPNB. I find it to be awesome. I don't really think bolsters are always necessary.

I don't think bolsters are necessary but I also would not buy one without bolster, just like the look better. However, something like the Fish knife above with a differently colored wood in place of a metal bolster would be fine with me.

Stefan

i dont think i have ever made a bolstered knife but i have made a few that had the look

This also got me thinking about wa handles and how I'd never consider buying a wa handle without a ferrule and it's the same thing, it's about a style - a look.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    However, something like the Fish knife above with a differently colored wood in place of a metal bolster would be fine with me.

Those cutoffs are looking a hell of a lot better all of a sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Those cutoffs are looking a hell of a lot better all of a sudden.
    Why do you think I wanted them?

+ Reply to Thread