• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Vintage Carving Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Sinclair

Reaction score
246.JPG

249.JPG

Flowing Art Nouveau 1890's set sterling silver collars & endcaps. This spectacular set cleaned up nicely. Thin Carbon Steel Slicer

251.JPG

There is a slight gap at end of knife stag handle & endcap. I tried gently knocking it with a mallet no movement. 175.00 + 10.00 shipping. sharpened convex edge and clove oil. Landers,Frary & Clark.

203.JPG

This set is English also Art Nouveau Sheffield. These two sets are the finest and unusual I have restored so far. I have never seen any others like them on E-Bay. 175.00 + 10.00 shipping. Sharpened convex edge & clove oil.

I look for 1800's carbons the workmanship is far superior to 20th century sets. And the early stainless blades were inferior to carbon. Many are damaged or have been deformed from sharpening. I look for blades that have not been used and sharpened alot.

I believe the short side it to keep the fork tines of the linens. The long side was to pinch against the slice that was being served to keep it in place(they have a pivot point).

These old carbons were forged very thin esp. at the tip. They are flexible and were made that way on purpose. I have carved birds with both. They strip down a Turkey quite well. I have filet fish with the Landers & some others I have restored.

During the Victorian age table settings among the upper class went to the extreme. The lifts on the forks were to keep the business end off the table. These forks have sharp points they can actually scratch wood. The pivot folds flat for carving.

Surely the rising pivot piece on the fork is a blade guard. So that when carving towards yourself, the knife cannot slip beyond that point. We can still buy modern forks with this feature today.

Landers, Frary & Clark 150.00. The blade on this carver is very nice. It had heavy patina when I bought it, but no pitting or scratches on the blade face rare on these 120 year old knives. It is thin. Spine is 3mm at the heel tapering to 1mm at the tip. Like the shape too. This knife was not used much or messed up by sharpening & steeling. Put a sharp convex edge on it finishing with 4K Gesshin, stropping on horse butt leather.

Sale fell through on the Landers set. Boxed it already in Priority Mail. Lowered 140.00 shipped. That's about what I have in it before restoration. This is a really nice set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back