Rouxbe online cooking classes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with rouxbe?

http://rouxbe.com/

I would not look to it as a substitute for traditional culinary school or internship experience, but instead as one resource among many. They offer a professional course, a course for home cooks, and a plant-based course as well.

I am intrigued but also skeptical. Is this legit or BS?

I am curious about it, so will do the free trial. I am just a casual home cook, so completely not related to your post, but it looks interesting so I thank you for the direction.

I got a lifetime membership on some deal about 5 years ago, but I haven't used it much really (too little time). The knife instruction is meh, but pretty much as one would expect for culinary school classes. I have used a couple of recipes with success -- a scallop one comes to mind. The videos are professionally done, and I am sure many home cooks would benefit from them, but as with all online cooking courses, it really depends upon how one uses it (or sticks to the courses). Frankly, I find making an involved Thomas Keller recipe just as informative, but for 'bite size' instruction, these programs have their place. I've on a few occasions searched for a specific technique to get some quick instruction, and I have found that useful too.

k.

I got a lifetime membership on some deal about 5 years ago, but I haven't used it much really (too little time). The knife instruction is meh, but pretty much as one would expect for culinary school classes. I have used a couple of recipes with success -- a scallop one comes to mind. The videos are professionally done, and I am sure many home cooks would benefit from them, but as with all online cooking courses, it really depends upon how one uses it (or sticks to the courses). Frankly, I find making an involved Thomas Keller recipe just as informative, but for 'bite size' instruction, these programs have their place. I've on a few occasions searched for a specific technique to get some quick instruction, and I have found that useful too.

k.

Thanks for the run down - I think I will see how self teaching with a few Keller and Pepin texts goes before pulling the trigger on the website. I just got Keller's FLC and ad hoc at home, and Pepin's complete new techniques. There's enough material in there to last years . . .

Thanks for the run down - I think I will see how self teaching with a few Keller and Pepin texts goes before pulling the trigger on the website. I just got Keller's FLC and ad hoc at home, and Pepin's complete new techniques. There's enough material in there to last years . . .

The chicken and dumpling soup is pretty involved. I always split it up into two days. And if you consider making his chicken stock and cooking the chicken, it could easily be spread out into three days. But you will learn about making chicken stock, dumplings, quenelles, a roux, sweating veggies with a parchment lid, cutting vegetables to size, how to preserve color in celery, and to this day I often cook my veggies separately for soups. That's just one example, but I am convinced that a person who worked through an entire TC cookbook would learn a lot -- and cook a lot of good food.

k.

If you already have a basic culinary understanding, I think Chef Steps is a better resource, and a better deal.

Back