Quantcast
Need Input on Suji Profile I Chose - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Input on Suji Profile I Chose

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I don't they will feel very different. The edge curve is almost identical, so the difference in performance will be coming from geometry mostly.

M
    Maybe it's because I'm looking at these pictures on a Wii and can't make them bigger(housesitting yay), but the top one looks like the tip is a bit higher. While that may not be a huge difference in the grinding process, in professional or heavy use it is ORDERS of difference. Having a slight curve in the tip makes a knife seem a lot longer, and, IMO more dynamic, because it offers more forward resistence when you push cut meats with the belly area. My favorite thing about having a high tip on a slicer is that its like having the balance and size of a shorter knife, and the cutting edge of a nice long slicer, but only when you need that extra something.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm looking at these pictures on a Wii and can't make them bigger(housesitting yay), but the top one looks like the tip is a bit higher. While that may not be a huge difference in the grinding process, in professional or heavy use it is ORDERS of difference. Having a slight curve in the tip makes a knife seem a lot longer, and, IMO more dynamic, because it offers more forward resistence when you push cut meats with the belly area. My favorite thing about having a high tip on a slicer is that its like having the balance and size of a shorter knife, and the cutting edge of a nice long slicer, but only when you need that extra something.
    Your observation is correct. The tip is a little higher on the top knife. Thanks for explaining why you prefer a little bit of the belly near the tip.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Both profiles look spot on for a dedicated slicer, but if I had to pick one it'd probably be the narrower profile. Reason being that a slicer is unlikely to see much abuse and the extra agility of a narrower tip would be a boon for controlling the cut on a knife this long. That being said, I get what johndoughy is saying about have some belly at the tip of a slicer. I feel like I have to finagle the end of my cuts with my yanagi, because of how flat the profile is near the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Adagimp View Post
    Both profiles look spot on for a dedicated slicer, but if I had to pick one it'd probably be the narrower profile. Reason being that a slicer is unlikely to see much abuse and the extra agility of a narrower tip would be a boon for controlling the cut on a knife this long. That being said, I get what johndoughy is saying about have some belly at the tip of a slicer. I feel like I have to finagle the end of my cuts with my yanagi, because of how flat the profile is near the tip.
    I remember studying one of my favorite slicers and noticing the belly and wondering why it was there. It makes a lot of sense now.

M

From looks alone, I like the narrower one. It looks to have just a little more agility which I find to be incredibly important for a suji. Super thin at the tip is best IMO.

Great, thanks guys. I will have two variations, with belly near the tip and without.

M