Need Input on Suji Profile I Chose

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
These are variations of a profile (one is narrower toward the tip) I selected for a suji I will offer. Length on the edge 280mm, tip to handle - 295mm. The knife will be thinly ground and will be light and nimble. I will aim for the ballance point at the machi, but might have to move it up the spine a little bit.

This profile is not based on any particular knife profile, but rather on elements of several sujis that I like (Masamoto, Shigefusa, Yoshikane, etc). So this is my own interpretation of a suji. :) Let me know what you think.

This is probably the longest blade I will make, but I will introduce shorter ones down the road.

M

DSC_1764.jpg

DSC_1763.jpg

PS: Dykem layout fluid is to highlight the profile

I like both. I think I would tend to appreciate the reduced drag and knuckle clearance on the narrower tipped version a bit more but maybe the taller one would be more durable for a pro. Would you be making these with pure slicing in mind or as an all-arounder?

I will probably have a home cook version thinner ground at the tip area (2-3"), and a pro version a little thicker, so it's more durable, but all-arounder knife is the intention. It's about 40-42mm at the the heel and wa handle will give a little extra knuckle clearance.

I see. For an all-arounder, I would definitely go with the first one (narrower toward the tip). I think it would be more agile-feeling.

For me, I like the profile on the left/bottom. Little flatter, but both are really good looking.

Actually, for a slicer/suji, I kind of want a more blade heavy knife, akin to the yanagiba. I think that type of slicing action would benefit from being blade heavy, or a lighter wood handle. Just my thought.

Left/bottom. The thinner tipped one.

We don't open #10 cans or hack through cow bones with our knives in pro kitchens. If you treat the knife with care it should be fine, even with a thin tip.

The neanderthals in pro kitchens who do use their chefs knives as hammers, screwdrivers and hack saws don't buy nice knives, so don't worry beefing up your blades to accommodate them. Rather have a better performing one that I have to take care of like I do all of my tools.

For a long suji, I greatly prefer more belly towards the tip, because board contact rarely happens anyways. So I'm going with #2, the one on top in the second pic.

For a long suji, I greatly prefer more belly towards the tip, because board contact rarely happens anyways. So I'm going with #2, the one on top in the second pic.

Thanks guys. I suppose, I will have to offer several options (thin - thick, flat - more belly)

M

You could make one of each and use them for a while and then make the one you like!

You could make one of each and use them for a while and then make the one you like!

I don't they will feel very different. The edge curve is almost identical, so the difference in performance will be coming from geometry mostly.

M

I don't they will feel very different. The edge curve is almost identical, so the difference in performance will be coming from geometry mostly.

M

Maybe it's because I'm looking at these pictures on a Wii and can't make them bigger(housesitting yay), but the top one looks like the tip is a bit higher. While that may not be a huge difference in the grinding process, in professional or heavy use it is ORDERS of difference. Having a slight curve in the tip makes a knife seem a lot longer, and, IMO more dynamic, because it offers more forward resistence when you push cut meats with the belly area. My favorite thing about having a high tip on a slicer is that its like having the balance and size of a shorter knife, and the cutting edge of a nice long slicer, but only when you need that extra something.

Maybe it's because I'm looking at these pictures on a Wii and can't make them bigger(housesitting yay), but the top one looks like the tip is a bit higher. While that may not be a huge difference in the grinding process, in professional or heavy use it is ORDERS of difference. Having a slight curve in the tip makes a knife seem a lot longer, and, IMO more dynamic, because it offers more forward resistence when you push cut meats with the belly area. My favorite thing about having a high tip on a slicer is that its like having the balance and size of a shorter knife, and the cutting edge of a nice long slicer, but only when you need that extra something.

Your observation is correct. The tip is a little higher on the top knife. Thanks for explaining why you prefer a little bit of the belly near the tip.

M

Both profiles look spot on for a dedicated slicer, but if I had to pick one it'd probably be the narrower profile. Reason being that a slicer is unlikely to see much abuse and the extra agility of a narrower tip would be a boon for controlling the cut on a knife this long. That being said, I get what johndoughy is saying about have some belly at the tip of a slicer. I feel like I have to finagle the end of my cuts with my yanagi, because of how flat the profile is near the tip.

Both profiles look spot on for a dedicated slicer, but if I had to pick one it'd probably be the narrower profile. Reason being that a slicer is unlikely to see much abuse and the extra agility of a narrower tip would be a boon for controlling the cut on a knife this long. That being said, I get what johndoughy is saying about have some belly at the tip of a slicer. I feel like I have to finagle the end of my cuts with my yanagi, because of how flat the profile is near the tip.

I remember studying one of my favorite slicers and noticing the belly and wondering why it was there. It makes a lot of sense now.

M

From looks alone, I like the narrower one. It looks to have just a little more agility which I find to be incredibly important for a suji. Super thin at the tip is best IMO.

Great, thanks guys. I will have two variations, with belly near the tip and without.

M

Latest posts

Back