Genuine Shig?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took a chance on this, despite serious condition issues even I could identify. Needs to be rehandled, and looks like tip needs to be repaired. But my threshold question is whether this is even a Shigefusa. Any comments -- even potentially insulting ones -- would be welcome. Thanks much. Larry
S4.JPGS1.JPGS2.JPGS3.JPG

I believe that the second picture shows Kanji which are consistent with Kiya-branded Shigefusa. (However, Kiya sell other brands which have these kanji as well, iirc).

Marko,

Thanks, that's part of what worried me, after I started comparing the kanji to what now appears on pictures of most Shigefusa knives. OTOH, the seller did mention Kiya, which I understand is a vendor in Japan that has sold many Shigefusas, so I thought that they might have privately branded some, possibly explaining the absence of the usual Shigefusa kanji. Perhaps I should also mention that the seller (which is in Japan) from whom I bought this also said they thought the knife was fairly old -- maybe from the 1980s -- which might also explain why the kanji is different from what appears on Shigefusas that most people are now accustomed to seeing.

Or maybe the simple explanation is that the knife was misrepresented.

Larry

Marko,

Thanks, that's part of what worried me, after I started comparing the kanji to what now appears on pictures of most Shigefusa knives. OTOH, the seller did mention Kiya, which I understand is a vendor in Japan that has sold many Shigefusas, so I thought that they might have privately branded some, possibly explaining the absence of the usual Shigefusa kanji. Perhaps I should also mention that the seller (which is in Japan) from whom I bought this also said they thought the knife was fairly old -- maybe from the 1980s -- which might also explain why the kanji is different from what appears on Shigefusas that most people are now accustomed to seeing.

Or maybe the simple explanation is that the knife was misrepresented.

Larry

Kiya Shigefusa usually has Kiya kanji on the face and Shigefusa kanji on the back.

Tim,

Thanks. I didn't read your post until after I posted the reply to Marko (which I was composing while you were posting), but what you said obviously is consistent with what I hoped to be the case, about it being a Shigefusa that was Kiya-branded. If so, then it may be worthwhile to send the knife to someone like Dave so it can be repaired etc.

Larry

I also apologize for the ridiculously small pictures. Completely my fault, resulting from a quick and dirty copying of the original pictures on eBay. If anyone is interested in larger images (and some additional ones), here is the eBay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251861277894?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT I hope it works.

From the pics on Ebay site, it looks very similar to Shigefusa yanagis (spine, choil). Too bad they didn't post the back side, this would have settled the matter quickly.

M

oops.. there are kanji of the backside... Fit and finish is definitely in the Shigefusa class.

In the 3rd photo, of the back kanji, it clearly says Shigefusa - just where it should. Perhaps the different style of the characters confused you guys above, but Shigefusa it is. Enjoy.

I don't think it is a shig. I better come take it off your hands. No problem - we philly guys need to stick together.

Thank you. Seems like the only big question remaining for me is how much work I need to have done on the blade to get it in top shape -- something I'm entirely confident Dave, for example, can expertly take care of.

Kiya is one of the main Shigefusa retailer in Japan, good pick up :)

Forget the knives Larry, did you see the hair restoration products he's selling!?:D

Mike!!! That's one of many reasons why I use a picture of a gyuto for my avatar, not a picture of me. Don't know how you found out that I am in obvious need of hair restoration products, but I guess now the word is out.

Oh, the shame of it all.

(But I'm nevertheless wondering whether his miracle products might be better than my Rogaine.)

Latest posts

Back