Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HHH Damascus Pic.gallery

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Look what Jr. thew on my bench today.. Its our version of Spirograph pattern damascus.. He made this extra wide for me.. Its 2 3/8" wide and over 14" long and is 2.5mm thick Should be a EXCEPTIONAL looking knife!!

So this one billet is Screaming at me! Its time to figure out what to turn this into.. So far Im leaning toward a usuba. I followed a link that said these are always single grind. Is that the case? would it be better in any way as a double grind? What is the main use of a usuba? Or What would you use one for in your kitchen?

Heres what the site said about the profile and acceptable blade sizes etc..
    Characteristics
    Typically a Single Grind knife.
    Common Blade Length - 210-240mm(8.27-9.45")
    Blade Length Range - 210-240mm(8.27-9.45")

Does anyone have any other photos of this style knife? I wanted to do a Western.wa handle. leaving the tang running through the handle, Ala, Delbert Ealy. But need a better picture or 5 to get a better feel for the blade profile. Yea, I know its a simple rectangle with a handle.. But its so much more then that!

I also see a sharpening video and the knife he was sharpening was similar to this usuba yet different. seemed to have a belly starting about 1 to 2 inches from the tip or front of the knife.. and it didnt look like the flat area at the front was sharp.. I cant seem to find the video again.. What is this style knife called?

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Nikiri. A little shorted and double beveled. They are both veggie knives.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Spike, Thank you brother.. Thats what I was looking for! What if any are the benefits of the single bevel over the double?

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

The single can be made sharper, but is more difficult to "steer" in the cut, so requires the development of technique. The double is arguably easier to sharpen, but ends up with a more obtuse edge. The usuba usually has a hollow ground off side, making it more difficult to make properly.
    I'm sure that others will chime in with more comprehensive information!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Actually Spike, you've been very helpful.
    Thank you.

Availible Knives

I hope you can reproduce the Spirograph billet because I want knife made out of that with your file work on the spine. Don't know when that day will come, but I'll be a happy camper when it does.

This billet is still available. Im mulling around ideas as to what to use it for.. But haven't done anything as of yet. If you are interested, Shoot me a PM lets do it!!

Randy

Availible Knives

I love the pattern. Whatever you make, I'd like to see it AND don't waste it on a rough draft, single bevel knife. It would need to be pretty thick, anyway to really get an usuba (or any other single bevel knife) out of it.

Thank TK, I wont try a single bevel with this one! Its a thin billet, 2.5mm thick at this point. and by the time I work it, the thickness will be closer to 2 or 2.2mm at the spine.

So far Im leaning toward a Nikiri profile. So I can keep as much of the pattern as possible. yet Im not 100% sure. Still looking for more references to size and thickness etc. As well as a good pic to reference. I would like to try and make it as close to traditional as far as the blade profile and size etc. as possible. Just read about a Carter. and think I may try and make something similar.

This is a pattern Randy Jr. can and will make again. So maybe we will make a thicker billet at some point to do a single bevel grind..

Thanks for the post tk59. I will post pics of whatever I make from it!!

Availible Knives

I still have not made anything from that SWEET billet of Spirograph YET!!! I hope to soon. But I did manage to get a couple done to show you guys! And a bench full of up and coming blades!!

Jr. is a Damascus making machine! Here are a couple from his Explosion pattern damascus.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Explosion blade and Meteorite 014.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	2098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Explosion blade and Meteorite 007.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	2099  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Damascus falcon II 029.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	2096   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP chef and stuff 034.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	2097  

Availible Knives