Tanaka KU 210 Project Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgod

Reaction score
A month ago I got one of these from a certain Wisconsin dealer, not quite recognizing how much of a project it would be. Actually it's been a fun learning experience for my first wa gyuto. The knife I received was several grams heavier and I'll guess significantly thicker behind the edge than the one shown in the CKtG videos and measurements. Not a great cutter compared to my Kanetsune Kanemasa 240 gyuto or even my old standby Forschner 8" chef. Both of those are much thinner overall, and thinner than many of the choil shots I've seen on many mid-price and expensive J-knives. Money doesn't always buy a thin knife, it seems, and the $56 Kanetsune would seem to be a laser by some standards.

So, I've spent many hours thinning this workhorse on what I've had at hand - 1000 grit King and 400 grit Messermeister (!) stones, and now have a much better cutter and vastly more waterstone experience. Still a bit of a workhorse, but way more effective.

Other issues are the poor handle fit and finish, and a rather easily bent, thin and narrow emoto. Still, I do like the way the knife handles, having developed my wa handle pinch grip.

I'm eagerly awaiting a Masakage Shimo 210 (should be closer to 220) that is the product of what I've learned from my first J-knives, and every aspect that I've found unsatisfying on the Tanaka should be addressed.

Hey, this whole fancy knife thing is pretty wild! And now I have yet another obsessive interest most people can't possibly understand! Thanks for being here to share.

Cam

Word. Glad you didn't give up on the tanaka.

Latest posts

Back