what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i seemed to have lost mine few days ago so had to order a new one.
was using a buck vantage pro which worked great and took a hell of a beating, i've even cut lots of food with it because i was too lazy to pull out a petty.
http://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-7839-Vantage-Knife/dp/B00I0MAH6W

ordered a spyderco centofante 3 in vg-10. i thought about the stretch just because it's AS steel but i don't like the blade shape plus it's just a flat grind and double the price (not spending over $100 on a beater haha, had an emerson a LONG time ago and it got promptly stolen out of my truck).
http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-C66PBK3-Centofante-III-Knife/dp/B000BT1GAI

Last edited by a moderator:
Spyderco Chaparral with carbon fiber scales, not too big not too little, though the dragonfly 2 in super blue and the air are both calling my name. I like being able to drop it in my pocket and not worry too much about it. I tend not to use a clip.

:ninja:

i gotta have clip, it takes too long to dig around inside the pocket for me otherwise (has to share space with cigs and lighter and keys, other pocket is cell only). and the little guys (mini's) i find aren't quite as useful.

I also have a mini griptilian from benchmade with a thumbhole among others as well. It is a good utilitarian base model with lots of possibilities to customize.

:knight:

Technically for me it is not a pocket knife as I do not wear it in my pocket, but rather my shoulder bag, but here it comes. One small multi-tool from Fox (like small Swiss army knife) and since about a year Spyderco Dragongly in super blue steel. The D'fly really is a great little knife, can manage more than one would expect given its size and weight and takes great edge. Easy to sharpen too.

I have also got the Spyderco Caly 3.5 (monosteel super blue) and Spyderco Calypso (ZDP) with burgundy FRN scales, but will probably sell the Caly 3.5 as it does not quite fit my needs/uses (too large for EDC and the cutting edge too flat for me, otherwise a great knife). The Calypso is a legend and I will probably keep it - just too cool and quite useful too.

The Caly 3.5 and D'fly before modifications (dye and vinegar etch):

And after:

BTW, the vinegar etch is very stable. Dying the G10 scales of the Caly 3.5 did not work as intended so after several attempts it turned out like strange jeans :)

I use an opinel, so when I lose it once a year I don't get sad. They are very good little knives and don't lock, or have assisted open so you can carry them most places. No clip though. I sometimes lust after the carbon Spyderco knives, also the occasional Takeda folder.

I carry a Kershaw blur everyday. I also have a Kershaw Chive sitting on my desk.

D'fly zdp version is nice and small and light and is on my keychain. Mini grips are nice also. When I carry other than keychain, it is sebenzas, though these are pricey.

I use a griptillian in s30v at work.

I can't post pictures in this thread for some reason. Here is a link to somebody else's pics of my griptilian.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...tilian-ordering-happy?p=14182542#post14182542.

I very much prefer the thumb hole instead of the stud for cutting food. You get the action and lock of the bench made with the thumb hole of the spyderco. I like the simple one hand open and close even with gloves on in the freezer. I am guessing you don't care about the designer looks of this one but don't let that turn you off on what is a great working knife.

I have grown to like my Spyderco Brad Southard Flipper with CTS-204P. totally one hand operation.
Also have a new Manix2 with S110V but I'm not comfortable with it yet.

Glen

TQPgmcNl.jpg

I came to kitchen knives by way of pocket knives. I started collecting them when I was still in school. These are my current knives. The Sebenza goes pretty much everywhere with me. This particular SMF is a 154cm CC and is a GREAT knife, though Im a bit more tolerant of Strider's idiosyncrasies than others. Im not so hot on the SnG CC and Ill probably eventually sell it to put it towards a Kirby Lambert.

I keep a Benchmade 755 in my backpack, too. Cool little knife, but Benchmade F&F makes me laugh out loud sometimes.

so i have had the spyderco for a few weeks now and the steel/grind of the vg10 is good, however i am not happy with the profile (too curvy) or the action and find myself really missing the old buck. i would like one hand open/shut (i liked being able to just flick wrist to get blade open with the buck). the closing mechanism on spyderco is annoying too with the lever on the back of the handle.

so is there one with blade quality AND great action/ergonomics for under $80?

I've been using SOG's and Buck's myself...ready to try something with a touch better steel though...

I've been using SOG's and Buck's myself...ready to try something with a touch better steel though...

If you can swing it, I cannot recommend anything over the Chris Reeves Sebenza 21. That is the knife on the far left in my image, btw. It's thin, tough as nails and has a great, functional hollow grind that makes it a better cutter than just about any of the pocket knives Ive ever owned, but still has more than adequate tip strength. AFAIK CRK is the only company whose grinding machine can sweep during the grind which keeps the Sebenza tip from getting super thin. It is simplicity itself and made as well as can be; I've owned 3 sebenzas and each one was more or less perfect which is incredible. I have never in >10 benchmades, near as many spydercos and emersons and even a few zero tolerances ever seen a knife that even gets close to the WORST sebenza I've ever owned. I sold the first two I owned because the handle shape didnt agree with me at the time, or I wanted a super thick tacti-cool knife, or some dumb **** like that. This one is going to my grave with me along with my rolex and my first Parker 51.

Also CRK will let you take the knife down without voiding the warranty (they include the alan key for it) which is pretty cool.

I have to +1 on Chris Reeve; I own eight of them. Quality control is perfect, blades are almost always perfectly centered, lockup perfect and feel in the hand nice. Unfortunately price on new ones is tightly controlled, but buying used is a good option. CRK will do a 'spa' treatment no matter where the knife came from for something like $30.

Don't know anything about the mcusta.

If you are using your pocket knife for food the Al Mar Eagle Ultralight might be worth a look. It seems to be a lockback small petty.

also recommend the sebenza--i use the small, but the regular is good too

The Al Mar lightweight series (eagle or falcon) are also great choices and long-time classics. Some turn their nose at AUS-8 (especially among the "hard use folder" crowd), but these knives are pocket scalpels that hold a decent edge and are much easier to sharpen than many more modern steels commonly used in folders.

Large Sebenza, BG42 blade. Don't recall exactly when I got it and I no longer have its "birth certificate", but it's been at least ten years. During that time I've owned a Pat Crawford, a Strider AR, a couple of Microtechs, several Benchmades and a number of Spydercos.

Most of the others are gone, but the Sebenza keeps on truckin'.

Latest posts

Back