Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: what do you guys use for pocket knives?

that one is pretty sweet chuck, don't care for the bright color but the blade and handle look perfect for work.

Pocket Knives

I have grown to like my Spyderco Brad Southard Flipper with CTS-204P. totally one hand operation.
    Also have a new Manix2 with S110V but I'm not comfortable with it yet.

Glen

I carry a protech monacco and love it

I came to kitchen knives by way of pocket knives. I started collecting them when I was still in school. These are my current knives. The Sebenza goes pretty much everywhere with me. This particular SMF is a 154cm CC and is a GREAT knife, though Im a bit more tolerant of Strider's idiosyncrasies than others. Im not so hot on the SnG CC and Ill probably eventually sell it to put it towards a Kirby Lambert.

I keep a Benchmade 755 in my backpack, too. Cool little knife, but Benchmade F&F makes me laugh out loud sometimes.

so i have had the spyderco for a few weeks now and the steel/grind of the vg10 is good, however i am not happy with the profile (too curvy) or the action and find myself really missing the old buck. i would like one hand open/shut (i liked being able to just flick wrist to get blade open with the buck). the closing mechanism on spyderco is annoying too with the lever on the back of the handle.

so is there one with blade quality AND great action/ergonomics for under $80?

I've been using SOG's and Buck's myself...ready to try something with a touch better steel though...
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

At work I carry a Benchmade Osbourne 943. Good pictures here: http://www.michiganknives.com/Item_P...3_Osborne.html. I had a Mini-Griptilian, but gave it to a friend who I thought needed it.

In most other places I wear a Carter neck knife.

Cheers,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    I've been using SOG's and Buck's myself...ready to try something with a touch better steel though...
    If you can swing it, I cannot recommend anything over the Chris Reeves Sebenza 21. That is the knife on the far left in my image, btw. It's thin, tough as nails and has a great, functional hollow grind that makes it a better cutter than just about any of the pocket knives Ive ever owned, but still has more than adequate tip strength. AFAIK CRK is the only company whose grinding machine can sweep during the grind which keeps the Sebenza tip from getting super thin. It is simplicity itself and made as well as can be; I've owned 3 sebenzas and each one was more or less perfect which is incredible. I have never in >10 benchmades, near as many spydercos and emersons and even a few zero tolerances ever seen a knife that even gets close to the WORST sebenza I've ever owned. I sold the first two I owned because the handle shape didnt agree with me at the time, or I wanted a super thick tacti-cool knife, or some dumb **** like that. This one is going to my grave with me along with my rolex and my first Parker 51.

Also CRK will let you take the knife down without voiding the warranty (they include the alan key for it) which is pretty cool.

I have to +1 on Chris Reeve; I own eight of them. Quality control is perfect, blades are almost always perfectly centered, lockup perfect and feel in the hand nice. Unfortunately price on new ones is tightly controlled, but buying used is a good option. CRK will do a 'spa' treatment no matter where the knife came from for something like $30.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

hmm, anybody use an mcusta basic?