Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: what do you guys use for pocket knives?

It's a bit bigger than a paring knife, more like a small petty. I should have gotten the falcon, lol. But this will be better for cutting food. Should have gotten one of these from the start, but I was so obsessed with having carbon steel I never considered practicality.

Opening is tight, but action is smooth. I imagine it will loosen up with use. It's easier to use one handed than the spyderco. Handle more comfortable as well, I was not a fan of g10 scales on caly. Out of box edge is very good so I didn't do initial sharpening, I am guessing steel is equivalent to mac pro which is perfectly fine for it's intended use.

Administrator
    Panda, Old shotgunning trick. When new actions are tight, rub some toothpaste on the friction points then cycle it a bunch of times. The toothpaste has just enough abrasive to loosen things a little but won't affect it long term. And the gun (knife) will smell minty fresh.

Older and wider..

Will do, thanks. I keep some in my locker anyway 😀

gave it a good use today. the larger size, i like it after all. it was awkward at first but once i got used to it it's way more useful. kind of like how everyone goes from tiny knives to upto 270 gyutos. the grind i need to work on, i dont like flat grinds, but it gives me a blank canvas to work an asymmetric convex into anyway.

chuckles, let us know what you think when you get one also.

I'm just a home cook but always have my Chris Reeve large Insingo. Works great for cutting bags and stuff that I would not touch with my gyuto or even small paring knives that I try to keep very sharp.

RAT model 2. love the Aus-8 steel. takes a super sharp edge (keep mine at around 3k) and holds it fairly well, as long as you aren't banging it on a steel surface. i use it mostly for fixing food wrap when people don't bother to do it themselves.

plus sharpening it on the stones is great practice. if you can sharpen a pocket folder and keep a near perfect bevel, you can probably sharpen just about any large kitchen knife no problem, save for maybe single-bevel knives.