Guide to the restaurant supply stores in the Bowery ... from 1977

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeHL

Reaction score
So I was doing some research on Gustav emil ern and I stumbled upon this historical gem

https://books.google.ca/books?id=O-...rn knives history&pg=PA62#v=onepage&q&f=false

I wish I had read this when I went to NYC last year! Just imagine walking in to one of those places to see wall to wall Gutav's, Sabatier's, Rusell's :knife:. Sadly though looking at google maps its seems that many of those places are long gone, but we can dream can't we !

The grumpy (but really sweet) man who ran Bridge took a liking to me when I was but a young'n (around 35 years ago :) ) - and I used to buy something from him almost once a week or save up and get something expensive like a copper egg beating pan. He also taught be to sharpen on stones - rather strange technique with the benefit of hindsight: you would run across the stone on a 45 degree angle changing the places you stroked. Those were the days when a book called the "Cooks Catalog" was my bible and I use to check off the items I craved ....

Actually that shopped closed a few years ago but, they moved a block down and. Combined inventory with another shop. Most of the knives. Now sit I. Barrels and buckets. You have to dig and know what you are looking for. Most of the Sabatier's are cheap Chinese knockoffs. There are a lot of Gustav's but you have to know which ones are the vintage and which are the ones they started making in the 90's. Vintage is better. Last time I was there I. Bought a 14" chef knife for $50.

Back