Japanese Knives A different side of me

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
Most of you know me as Jon from Japanese Knife Imports, but i found these photos from a time before. Allow me to introduce the Jon before Japanese Knife Imports:

Dont laugh too hard ;)

b0VHwe.jpg

xs6B1b.jpg

qcmLqv.jpg

oFdgWx.jpg

The beginning of my addiction, and the last time non-japanese knives were a part of my kit (except for a few customs)
LffVfj.jpg

So what knives are they??

the three on the left are masamoto tsukiji blue #2 knives... engraved with the name of the restaurant i had been working at in Japan

top row includes: a small deba from my chef in Japan, forschner scimitar, blazen sg2 gyuto, forschner chefs knife, mac bread knife, masamoto sohonten carbon gyuto (also from my chef in japan)

Bottom row includes: hiromoto as 210mm petty/sujihiki, mac santoku, sanetsu zdp-189 santoku, forschner curved boning knife, tojiro dp honesuki, hiromoto AS 120mm petty, forschner paring knife 3-pack

This was a LONG time ago.

Cool photos - you seemed to have fun :) The question is - what was the decisive point to change your career? How did it start?

Do you still have/use any of those knives?

As a matter of interest, do you prefer to work with Japanese or Western style handles? I saw someone question this today on some forum (maybe here). I use both and hardly notice most of the time but for some jobs I have a definite preference.

You look like a pretty happy guy there. Still do Jon. You must be doing something right.

When I saw the title I was a little worried Jon was going to start posting belfies.

I'll admit i was hoping for something really off-kilter, like photos of an old glam rock band or something, maybe your knitting projects or a link to some new age synth albums...

Great post, someday I shall find a way to get a kitchen job in Japan :biggrin:.

As a matter of interest, do you prefer to work with Japanese or Western style handles? I saw someone question this today on some forum (maybe here). I use both and hardly notice most of the time but for some jobs I have a definite preference.

japanese style handles.... i still own some western handled knives, but they rarely get used

From the title I was hoping for a Soup Nazi/MMA hybrid on customer relations.

YOU want that MOUNTED??? NO STONE FOR YOU! :cool2:

here's one from when i was in japan

sp2dzt.jpg

not the best picture, but this was when some family friends came to eat (the couple on the right)

These are great, Jon. :)

I wish I had photos of when I was a classical clarinetist. I have some tapes, somewhere...

These are great, Jon. :)

I wish I had photos of when I was a classical clarinetist. I have some tapes, somewhere...

i just randomly found a bunch of really old photos, ergo the post. Who knows, maybe you will stumble upon some yourself.

I'll admit i was hoping for something really off-kilter, like photos of an old glam rock band or something, maybe your knitting projects or a link to some new age synth albums...

i found some from my early college days, but i have too much pride/shame to post those ;)

... or not

NBoSoB.jpg

Jon,

Nothing beats your recent Halloween selfie.

Perfect ploy to hide knife obsession from the Mrs .... open a knife shop.

Back