Trying to decide on a 180mm Gyuto - I think!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubadoo

Reaction score
I've posted a couple of previous threads and was thinking about getting a 210 gyuto. I'm now thinking that I might want something closer to 180mm but I'm not really sure and it's difficult without the opportunity to hold them. I know people like longer gyutos but most of the time i find the 240 too long. Sorry to be asking again!

My current main knife is still a Global G16 which has a 24cm blade.

KNIFE TYPE
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
western probably, but never handled a Japanese one.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
180mm, maybe a 210. I just want a shorter knife than my 240mm that is more nimble.

Do you require a stainless knife?
not particularly, open to anything

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
around £150ish

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for
general food prep - slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats. i can use my cheap sabatier for heavier tasks

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
I currently use a Global G16

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
mostly hammer, some pinch.

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
push cut and rocking

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

want to try something shorter, nice quality/finish, blade and handle separate unlike the global. but i do find the global comfortable and light. handle less slippy.

better handle material

less wedging; better food release

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
wood cutting board

Do you sharpen your own knives?
currently use a minosharp but have waterstones that I use for chisels/planes etc.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives?
yes
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? have a range of waterstones

I'd been looking a lot on JCK but have also looked elsewhere at these:

a Takamura R2

http://thechoppingblockco.co.uk/col...ction/products/takamura-r2-migaki-180mm-gyuto

Akifusa PM

http://thechoppingblockco.co.uk/collections/akifusa-pm-collection/products/akifusa-pm-180mm-gyuto

Haruyuki SRS15

https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/brands/haruyuki/srs15/gyuto-7-180mm

or in a 210mm Konosuke - this shop is actually not that far away so I could possibly visit them.

http://thechoppingblockco.co.uk/col...products/konosuke-white-2-210mm-western-gyuto

Have no experience with Akifusa or Haruyuki, but I have 180mm Takamura and owned 240mm Konosuke HD… while they both are decent cutters, the food release is pretty poor on both of them.

Just a note on the size - IMO is 180 very practical for smaller jobs around veggies. Should you later need a larger knife too, then 240 will be the logical step.

If you are getting knife with western handle, than keep an eye on the blade height. 40mm could be too little to get enough knuckle clearance. I have Carter Muteki with 41mm blade height and it is rather tight. 45mm would be much better. Look at the other photo of Haruyuki on CEK - it shows this quite well.

All of the knives you mention are good knives. I you have a chance to check any of them in person - definitely do so.

Have no experience with Akifusa or Haruyuki, but I have 180mm Takamura and owned 240mm Konosuke HD… while they both are decent cutters, the food release is pretty poor on both of them.

That's a shame. When slicing onions with my global the slices do stick and I'd like to have something that didn't so much.

Is there anything else you would recommend?

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks Matus, I'll consider that. Would a Santoku be a better choice in a 180mm for general prep?

I love the look of the Carter muteki knives, very drool worthy but not available over here sadly.

Thanks Matus, I'll consider that. Would a Santoku be a better choice in a 180mm for general prep?

I love the look of the Carter muteki knives, very drool worthy but not available over here sadly.

I am personally not a fan of the fat nose a santoku has making it much less suitable to make some cut-outs on veggies (like cleaning a paprika, or 'carving' some non-straight cuts on a carrot, or such). The flat-ish cutting edge is practical when chopping though. That is also the reason why I love my Carter Funayuki:

A santoku will have a longer working edge than a gyuto of the same length, due to the absence of the upswing towards the tip.

I am personally not a fan of the fat nose a santoku has making it much less suitable to make some cut-outs on veggies (like cleaning a paprika, or 'carving' some non-straight cuts on a carrot, or such). The flat-ish cutting edge is practical when chopping though. That is also the reason why I love my Carter Funayuki:

That is a lovely looking knife!

JCK seems to still have a Hiromoto AS in 200mm (unusual size). Great value for the knife and sadly not being made anymore.

But I would also give a thumbs up to the Akifusa you mentioned earlier. I have bought several 180mm gyutos to give as gifts to introduce friends and family to high quality Japanese knives. 180mm seems to be a 'non threatening' length and I find it pretty useful for home cooking.

:doublethumbsup:

Make sure you are ready for a non stainless knife. I have purchased from the chopping block before and can recommend them. Do check cleancut in Sweden, their prices are good.

If you can go to the store then go and check them out, they seem to have a good selection.
FWIW, I have a 210 Takamura Hana and it is possibly my favorite knife, apart from being a bit on the short side for my preferences.

I have a 240 akifusa... dont have a ton of experience but the food release isnt amazing. Edge retention is good but it can chip and isnt the easiest to sharpen but for home use you should be able to go pretty long without sharpening

Thanks for the feedback on the Takamura and the Akifusa. I would definitely like something with low-ish stiction.

I've spent the last few days looking online at all sorts and reading lots of posts here.

I'm wondering about just getting an Itinomon 210 Wa Gyuto the carbon/stainless clad one. I like the look of the western versions but they're out of stock and more expensive. Maybe it would be fun to try a Wa handle, although i'd prefer a darker wood? The price is attractive and I hear good things about Maksim.

Is there any reason not to get that knife? I do like the thin lightness of my global - the spine is never thicker than 2.5mm wheres the Itonomon is 3.3mm above the heel and 2mm in the middle, maybe it would actually feel thinner?

Any thoughts on the Itinomon, particularly the various models would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

Itinomonn is a very solid choice. Don't worry about spine thickness, it means nothing. It'll will cut far better than your Global.

If you want a darker handle, Maksim's burnt chestnut handles are really nice* - ask him to stick one on for you. Also, ask him nicely to do the finish sharpening and you'll be in a good place.

*Here's one of mine:

yoshi.jpg

Thanks Tim,

I think it was you that first brought Itinomon to my attention!

I think the link on your picture is broken, any chance you could repost?

Cheers
Dave

Mmmm, very nice! i take it there is a price increase with those?

Yes, but it should not be dramatic (I would guess around 300 Euro). And on top of that these handles feel really nice in hand and are lightweight.
Either there's a excess zero somewhere, or a the whole idea of drama is greatly devaluated lately :)

Personally I wouldn't discard Watanabe knives as they are pretty close to Itinomonn and has burned chestnut handles as well.

Back