Global handles - closer to western or wa style handle.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubadoo

Reaction score
I like the handle shape of my global and I like something rounded or contoured.

Does that mean that I'm more likely to prefer a western or Japanese style handle?

Sorry if it's a dumb question but I've not really thought about it before.

Cheers
Dave

Looks like you have some knives to buy and find out...

Probably you'd prefer Japanese style rather than western if you like your Global handle -- but why not visit a store with large assortment of knives and see how they feel? Though, as Rick implied, that may not be a very good test (unless it's sufficient to make you react strongly and confidently reject western, for example), and there's no adequate substitute for buying one and using it for a while. Good luck.

You've mentioned in another thread that you normally used hammer grip and IMO western handles are much better suited for this grip. At least my wife and mother (both happens to use hammer grip exclusively) always told me that western handles are way for comfortable that all that "Japanese-nonsense" :)

Depends on the global you have, their lower numbered knives have a very thin handle, which is a flatter profile. I would say this is closer to a western handle. The larger numbered knives or the forged series, is much more ovular and closer to a wa.

Probably you'd prefer Japanese style rather than western if you like your Global handle -- but why not visit a store with large assortment of knives and see how they feel? Though, as Rick implied, that may not be a very good test (unless it's sufficient to make you react strongly and confidently reject western, for example), and there's no adequate substitute for buying one and using it for a while. Good luck.

Unfortunately there aren't many shops near me. In fact there aren't many at all in the uk that have many Japanese knives. There is one about half an hour away but a lot of the knives are out of stock.

You've mentioned in another thread that you normally used hammer grip and IMO western handles are much better suited for this grip. At least my wife and mother (both happens to use hammer grip exclusively) always told me that western handles are way for comfortable that all that "Japanese-nonsense" :)

Thanks,

I'm trying to practice more with pinch grip but use hammer as well especially for rocking.

Depends on the global you have, their lower numbered knives have a very thin handle, which is a flatter profile. I would say this is closer to a western handle. The larger numbered knives or the forged series, is much more ovular and closer to a wa.

It's a G16 24cm chefs knife.

It's not so much a distinction between Western or wa, but looking for the elements that you find desirable. For me, the biggest issue I've had with many knives is an abrupt transition of the bolster/ferrule to the blade. Your Global has a nice "sculpted" transition:

Global-Cook's-Knife-24cm-G-16_C2_RW_500px.jpg

Many Western handled knives have a "squared" bolster that is much less comfortable:

FH-Ebonywood-Handle.jpg

And most wa-handled knives have an abrupt transition from the ferrule to the blade that you may find less comfortable:

Magnolia-D-Shaped-Wood-Hand1.jpg

Some custom makers, like Will Catcheside, taper and round the ferrule for comfort:

4437756_orig.jpg

And some handle makers, like Mike of Honu Mana Wa Handles make aftermarket handles that can be installed on the blade of your choosing:

attachment.php

If you like the all metal construstion of the Globals, and want to take a step up, consider the Echizen series at JCK:

Echi-12.jpg

So you may want to consider the bolster/ferrule shape as part of your search.

Just my two cents.

Rick

Thanks Rick for that thoughtful reply. Much appreciated.

I hadn't really thought about it but yes I really like the sculpted transition on the global so that's something I need to think about. Thanks

I think the Echizen is a bit too 'bling' for my tastes. I do like the look of a general Damascus but imagine it adds on a lot of price just for aesthetics.

Back