Quantcast
Bench stone mounting material

Thread: Bench stone mounting material

Bench stone mounting material

What is the best media on which to mount a normal size baseless stone?

Something extremely hard like tempered glass, ceramic tile, etc. or something with a little "give" like thick rubber or conveyor belting.

How about an 8 by 3 piece of ceramic tile glued to a 1/2" thick piece of conveyor belting then glued to the stone?

(Obviously I have access to a ton of free ceramic tile and conveyor belting.)

Why not just use a stone holder?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Why not just use a stone holder?
    1. A stone holder doesn't reinforce cracked stones.
    2. A stone holder doesn't stabilize thin stones.
    3. I made a purpose built sink bridge for exchange of stones whose size and shape does not lend itself well to stone holders.

I got myself a nice big Red aromatic cedar board from e-bay, cut to pieces it and now use it for bases of my natural stones.

wood.

how thick is the belt material? is it rubber?

Depending on what kind of tools you have on hand you could: Cut up pressure treated deck material, take a couple of pieces of those cedar smoking planks and glue them together and cut them to size, cut a 2x4 to size and apply a couple of coats of polyurethane to make it waterproof. I think you could wander around HD/Lowes or a big hardware store and find plenty of easy solutions. There's the new composite deck material which should work pretty good, depending how expense it is.

I guess I could go on and on but I think you get the picture.

How about a sheet of 1/4" or 3/8" raw nylon? I used some for strop-backing material because it's supposed to be one of the most dimensionally-stable types of plastic.

I don't see why a chunk of ceramic tile wouldn't work. It would be stable and waterproof.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig