Bench stone mounting material

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rulesnut

Founding Member
Reaction score
What is the best media on which to mount a normal size baseless stone?

Something extremely hard like tempered glass, ceramic tile, etc. or something with a little "give" like thick rubber or conveyor belting.

How about an 8 by 3 piece of ceramic tile glued to a 1/2" thick piece of conveyor belting then glued to the stone?

(Obviously I have access to a ton of free ceramic tile and conveyor belting.) :tooth:

Why not just use a stone holder? :scratchhead:

1. A stone holder doesn't reinforce cracked stones.
2. A stone holder doesn't stabilize thin stones.
3. I made a purpose built sink bridge for exchange of stones whose size and shape does not lend itself well to stone holders.

I got myself a nice big Red aromatic cedar board from e-bay, cut to pieces it and now use it for bases of my natural stones.

Depending on what kind of tools you have on hand you could: Cut up pressure treated deck material, take a couple of pieces of those cedar smoking planks and glue them together and cut them to size, cut a 2x4 to size and apply a couple of coats of polyurethane to make it waterproof. I think you could wander around HD/Lowes or a big hardware store and find plenty of easy solutions. There's the new composite deck material which should work pretty good, depending how expense it is.

I guess I could go on and on but I think you get the picture.

How about a sheet of 1/4" or 3/8" raw nylon? I used some for strop-backing material because it's supposed to be one of the most dimensionally-stable types of plastic.

I don't see why a chunk of ceramic tile wouldn't work. It would be stable and waterproof.

Back