Kiridashi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazedandkasumi

Reaction score
Not exactly a kitchenknife, but nevertheless.
I am ordering a yanagi, and some other stuff fra Shinichi W.
For some time I have been intrigued by the shape of those kiridashis.
I am going to use it for medium to fine woodcarving work. I have a double bevel scandiknife for rough work.

Anyway, Shinichi have different models. For those with experience with kiridashis, what size is the ultimate standard size?

Thanks,
Geir

I would say the average Kiridashi size is about 18cm in overall length and about 2cm wide. I have three different models but they average about that size

I have several kiridashi knives and love using them all.
Probably the most used one is 18mm wide (in the middle) and the least used one is the widest on this photo:

wrapped handles with rubber for an ultimate grip

Thanks.

Size on Shinichis model seem on par with the avrage size.

Is the 200$ pricetag right, or should I go for a cheaper modell?
I guess price and quality goes hand in hand?

Geir

I paid 15$ for biggest one, ~50$ for damascus version in the middle (though the pattern isn't apparent on my shot) and haven't tried anything more expensive. The cheap one was a bit twisted and required about 1.5hours on stones to be fixed. The damascus one was way better made and required much less time on stones. The smaller ones didn't required anything to perform.

So I have no idea how good Watanabe kiridashi could be (tried and loved his kitchen knives), but be prepared that if you opt for something cheap — it may need some work from your side.

wrapped handles with rubber for an ultimate grip

That my friend is a very glamorous way of describing electrical tape and a rubber band:D

Be well,
Mikey

I told you: rubber band is the ultimate stuff

Rubberbands are underestimated, period! :doublethumbsup:

I asked Shinichi about drilling a couple of holes in the handle for a later instalment of a western handle on the kiridashi. Bad idea?

JNS have a singelbevel scandinavian style knife with western handle. It seems like a good combination..

Rubberbands might be as, if not more, efficiant:laugh:

Kiridashi is ordered nevertheless..

Back