Shimatani blue #2 yanagiba and steel question in general

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toufas

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with the above knife?
Also how does blue #2 work on a single bevel knife? Which steel is considered better if I want just to slice fish?

i bought the hand hammered 210 AS shimatani yanagi… i haven't really had the chance to use/sharpen it… but it came very sharp out of the box… also have the 165mm deba same steel and the edge retention was pretty good… I was surprise the last time I hacked a couple of halibut bones for sauce with it and didn't chip at all… maybe it was because i put a micro bevel on it, maybe the steel, i'm not sure… but for the price i paid for it, it's worth it…

I have a few Yanagibas of varying lengths between 270mm and 330mm in white and Blue 1 and 2 steels. In use, making sashimi say, I can't really discern any difference between steel performance. These are all high quality hand made knives, all can achieve and sustain more than sufficient sharpness. If I was working in a sushi restaurant in Japan and slicing day in day out I might discern a difference, but for more occasional, even pro use, I think the feel and geometry of the knife, and its length being optimum for you, is more important than the steel.

That said my go to knife is a 330mm Blue 2.

When discussing Yanagibas with Watanabe san, I took from his comments that the difference between the steels (Blue or white) whould be felt in edge retention. Performance would be excellent either way but the blue steel would hold up to heavy use a bit better.

I bought white steel for every knife accept my Unagisaki. The white steel cuts very well and is a joy to maintain in my limited experience.

Back