Should I?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth0941

Reaction score
My mother gave me an old forgecraft Chef. It is very black from staining but shows no signs of rust. Should I attempt to clean it? The wood on the handle is also very dry looking what should I use to "oil" it?

Thanks for the time.

Welcome! I'd sharpen the blade and put mineral oil on the handle--if it's really dry you may want to soak it.

Should you remove the patina? I wouldn't unless it's rusting. The iron in your knife is always going to react as either Fe2O3 (rust) or Fe3O4. What you have is the good stuff that people try to build over time. If you remove the patina and start over, it will be more reactive. On japanese carbon steels I've been getting lots of blues and purples, my forgecraft has only ever gotten black patina. So if you're removing it to try a different looking patina, I wouldn't bother.

For the handle, use a mixture of mineral oil and beeswax. You can buy it or make your own on a double boiler. 5:1 oil wax ratio. Also good for wood spoons, cutting boards, and salad bowls.

For the handle, use a mixture of mineral oil and beeswax. You can buy it or make your own on a double boiler. 5:1 oil wax ratio. Also good for wood spoons, cutting boards, and salad bowls.

You'll want to use the mineral oil by itself before applying the board wax...once the handle has reached 'saturation' you can apply the board wax...or just use the oil...

Thanks everyone, One more question.. What angle dose this knife like to be sharpened at? I am mostly veterinarian so I use it for 90% vegies. My mother attempted to sharpen it on a electric sharpener to it needs re beveled. She says that is the one and only time she ever sharpened it and she bought it new in the early 60's (she thinks).

Oh I love old forgies, I wish so many other people didn't love them to, prices on the bay have gone nutso, I blame Son :).

The wonderful folks at Bloodroot tested some I sent them for rehandling and they are awfully hard, up to 61, they can easily take a 12.5 degree primary angle and I add a 15 degree microbevel at the end.

I use spoon butter on the handles and often have to clean them up though: I use a CLP soak followed by some barkeepers friend, then I used to force a new patina on them with vinegar and mustard but may now switch to the new Hydrogen peroxide+ Vinegar + Salt method ...

If there is no red rust though, I'm not sure you need to do anything but Son is the expert on ODC (old dirty carbon)

I would sand that handle down and soak it in mineral oil to clean it up a bit.

+1 on sanding. The pins seem to be a little bit sunken in. Maybe sanding will make it flush.

Back