Quantcast
Need a terrine knife
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a terrine knife

Need a terrine knife

So I am about to take a new job and I want to do quite a few terrines on the menu. I realized that I don't have a knife very suited for slicing terrines. What are some super thin sujihikis I can get in the ~$200 range? I need it thin thin thin since most terrines I make are delicate. I'm thinking I should go 270mm on it. I really like white steel, all of my knives are currently white steel which brought me to the konosuke.... But what else?

Right now I'm using a
    210mm masamoto yanagiba
    180 suisin usuba
    240 masamoto gyoto
    195 watanabe miorishi deba
    105 watanabe paring knife

My collection is coming along
    Music--Food .:':. Dancing--Eating

i thought you just got promoted?

im not sure which ones are in your price range, but i have a misono 240 suji that i use for this purpose and it works great and i have never thinned the blade, it more of making sure you do once continual slice and wipe the blade clean before each cut. I work with pate en croute and terrines almost everyday so i hope this helps.

also depending on what type of terrine it can help it you heat the blade up quite a bit i use hot water but i have seen some chefs use a blow torch.

...yeah... about that.... It was a great paying cushiony job with amazing benefits... and that made the masochist in me uncomfortable. I'm still young and need my ass kicked, so I took a job as chef di cuisine with my old chef at a spot that just opened where the opening chef turned out to be a hack. Here's a blurb about it. I'm starting mid august--I took a huge pay cut but I will have menu input and full reign; more freedom and responsibilities...

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2011/07...silhouette.php

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    im not sure which ones are in your price range, but i have a misono 240 suji that i use for this purpose and it works great and i have never thinned the blade, it more of making sure you do once continual slice and wipe the blade clean before each cut. I work with pate en croute and terrines almost everyday so i hope this helps.

also depending on what type of terrine it can help it you heat the blade up quite a bit i use hot water but i have seen some chefs use a blow torch.
    I havent had a problem with the actual technique of cutting the terrine, but I could use a better slicer suited for this purpose... thin thin thin

I've seen it done with electric knives. I know it doesn't look thin, but I have seen some paper thin slices come off of that thing. Competition, and high-end French chefs use it too.

Quote Originally Posted by goodchef1 View Post
    I've seen it done with electric knives. I know it doesn't look thin, but I have seen some paper thin slices come off of that thing. Competition, and high-end French chefs use it too.
    You know, I was thinking about this the other day... I would like to do a smoked salmon terrine like george perrier does in the le bec fin cook book but even slicing smoked salmon against creme fraiche with a really ****** sharp knife would be an accomplishment but I haven't had any experience with electric knives. What brands are recommended?

Here's the recipe I'm referring to... ****** beautiful, one of my favorite books of all time.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=0D1...errine&f=false

Engorged Member
    Call Jon Broida...he'll help you out.

If you're a fan of Masamoto, I have their 240mm KS Wa-Suji and it's deadly thin. It's light, nimble and has that great Masamoto white steel.

I have no idea. However I know Konesuke makes some really thin Gyutos. You could talk to Jon about a suji...

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...40/category/6/

+ Reply to Thread