Need a terrine knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnxiousCowboy

Reaction score
So I am about to take a new job and I want to do quite a few terrines on the menu. I realized that I don't have a knife very suited for slicing terrines. What are some super thin sujihikis I can get in the ~$200 range? I need it thin thin thin since most terrines I make are delicate. I'm thinking I should go 270mm on it. I really like white steel, all of my knives are currently white steel which brought me to the konosuke.... But what else?

Right now I'm using a
210mm masamoto yanagiba
180 suisin usuba
240 masamoto gyoto
195 watanabe miorishi deba
105 watanabe paring knife

My collection is coming along :)

im not sure which ones are in your price range, but i have a misono 240 suji that i use for this purpose and it works great and i have never thinned the blade, it more of making sure you do once continual slice and wipe the blade clean before each cut. I work with pate en croute and terrines almost everyday so i hope this helps.

also depending on what type of terrine it can help it you heat the blade up quite a bit i use hot water but i have seen some chefs use a blow torch.

...yeah... about that.... It was a great paying cushiony job with amazing benefits... and that made the masochist in me uncomfortable. I'm still young and need my ass kicked, so I took a job as chef di cuisine with my old chef at a spot that just opened where the opening chef turned out to be a hack. Here's a blurb about it. I'm starting mid august--I took a huge pay cut but I will have menu input and full reign; more freedom and responsibilities...

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2011/07/david_malbequi_out_after_seven_months_at_la_silhouette.php

im not sure which ones are in your price range, but i have a misono 240 suji that i use for this purpose and it works great and i have never thinned the blade, it more of making sure you do once continual slice and wipe the blade clean before each cut. I work with pate en croute and terrines almost everyday so i hope this helps.

also depending on what type of terrine it can help it you heat the blade up quite a bit i use hot water but i have seen some chefs use a blow torch.

I havent had a problem with the actual technique of cutting the terrine, but I could use a better slicer suited for this purpose... thin thin thin

I've seen it done with electric knives. I know it doesn't look thin, but I have seen some paper thin slices come off of that thing. Competition, and high-end French chefs use it too.

I've seen it done with electric knives. I know it doesn't look thin, but I have seen some paper thin slices come off of that thing. Competition, and high-end French chefs use it too.

You know, I was thinking about this the other day... I would like to do a smoked salmon terrine like george perrier does in the le bec fin cook book but even slicing smoked salmon against creme fraiche with a really ****** sharp knife would be an accomplishment but I haven't had any experience with electric knives. What brands are recommended?

Here's the recipe I'm referring to... ****** beautiful, one of my favorite books of all time.
http://books.google.com/books?id=0D...ge&q=le bec fin smoked salmon terrine&f=false

If you're a fan of Masamoto, I have their 240mm KS Wa-Suji and it's deadly thin. It's light, nimble and has that great Masamoto white steel.

I would never tell someone not to buy another knife. But the masamoto gyuto will still work very well. If you really want suji. As many people know a 240mm suji is about one of the favorite knife shapes. I used to use a tadatsuna which was nice but too expensive plus I would just go with a konosuke over that given the option and ease. I would recommend giving Jon a buzz, he has quite a few knives that will fit your needs. If I did not sell my tadatsuna I would say you should take that off my hands.

I would never tell someone not to buy another knife. But the masamoto gyuto will still work very well. If you really want suji. As many people know a 240mm suji is about one of the favorite knife shapes. I used to use a tadatsuna which was nice but too expensive plus I would just go with a konosuke over that given the option and ease. I would recommend giving Jon a buzz, he has quite a few knives that will fit your needs. If I did not sell my tadatsuna I would say you should take that off my hands.

And I would have told you I don't have that money right now :p I can imagine the masamoto gyuto will work well, but I was thinking it's time to add some sort of razor to the collection

What about a Forschner salmon slicer?

the gesshin 210 petty i have is super thin im not sure about his other sujis in that line but im sure he could help you out. Also the konosuke gyutos are super thin i would imagine the sujis are as well maybe look into those to.

Konosuke HD suji or gyuto. Doesn't matter. Both are thin, thin, thin.... A little more than you want to spend but also much more than a terrine knife. Was reading Ruhlman's "Soul of a Chef" about the Master Chef certification at the CIA and several of the chef's had points deducted for uneven slicing of charcuterie and one chef lost points because his cut wasn't nice and evenly done--obviously done with a dull knife.

is the white steel and the hd konosuke the same thickness?? I prefer white steel only because im more familiar with it... and its more in my price range

Latest posts

Back